• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long startup times

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arden2004

I was wondering if anybody could help me improve the startup time for my computer. I have noticed that ever since I got my computer the startup time has become slower and slower, although the difference is not too big. By slow, I am referring to the Windows bootup screen where the bar loops around. Before it only took 3-4 loops but now it is nearing almost 7 loops to startup. This adds up to almost 40 seconds to startup my computer, whereas before it took around 20. I have Windows XP Home Edition with SP1 installed (the only reason why I didn't install SP2 was because my startup time was already getting slow enough).

My specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
ASUS K8V Motherboard
Corsair XMS 1GB PC3200 DDR400 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

I have read many tips on improving startup time, such as deleting the Prefetch folder, and I frequently use TuneUp Utilities 2004 to fix my registry problems. I have tried defragmenting my hard drive and it did not seem to make much difference to startup time, only to general performance. I do as much as I can to tweak my computer for maximum performance, incase any of you think I am a complete newbie at computers, but this is just puzzling me. If any of you have any suggestions you would like to give, please post it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

As a side note, this thread should be in the "Microsoft Operating System" part of the forum.

And as to your question: Try this program: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

when you install it, start it up, go to "trace" and then click "optimize system"

The computer will restart, and when it re-enters windows it will take a few minutes before its done doing the optimization (however it doesnt look like its doing anything for a while at first... Just wait a few minutes and a little window will pop up... when that disappears, its done, and restart)

Thanks for the help guys. My apologies for posting in the wrong forum, was just in a hurry to post a topic and Software seemed somewhat on topic. If a mod can move this topic then it'd be great. :)

Nice to find a polite new member who doesn't talk using stupid h4x0r words.

Welcome to the forums buddy!

If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to help you.

you might also want to run "msconfig" and see what unecessary programs are trying to load at start up.

Back