• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which motherboard overclocks better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flunders

Registered
I have a P4 3GHz Prescott CPU. I want a motherboard that supports onboard IDE RAID and has overclocking potentials. The two that I'm thinking about are DFI LanParty Pro875 and Asus P4C800-E Deluxe. Which will I get better overclocks with if I have decent AIR cooling? Can't afford other methods of cooling like water. The P4C800-E has just released a BIOS update which lets you change the multiplier on a Prescott 3.2 onwards. This obviously won't affect me, right? Since I only have a 3.0. But if I could change the multiplier would I get better overclocks? Anyway what do you think?

Flunders

My GA-8KNXP supports more raid then you'll need at home, or well, more then most will atleast. It also overclocks well enough for my needs, altho, im kinda limited still, with bad air conditions within the case.

If your insisting on the boards you'we been looking at, i belive the Asus has most potential, but it has less "raid". btw, decent aircooling wont get you anywhere with a prescott, you need something good, like Thermalright or "comparable" (equivalent?)

Best of luck.
B!

(Btw, if you look to get the Gigabyte mobo, better get slightly faster mems, or memory known to overclock on "stock" vdimm, since there aint to much extra in the bios... i belive its +0.2v or so...)

Thanks for the reply and when I said decent cooling I really meant good, like Thermalright. As for RAID, I only need RAID 0/1. And both those motherboards supply that. So the real question is overclocking.

My sugestion still would be the GA-8knxp, 2x2Sata raid (ICH5+SiL) and 2xPata, not including the 2 standard Pata for boot and so on, if thats your preference.

However, since thats not what your asking.
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe is the widly used and admited overclock king... Doubt you'll get that much more out of it tho..

As you said yourself, the multiplyer unlocking dosent work for the 3.0 cpu, and at the multiplyer you have, i doubt you'll hit high enough fsb's to make it a must to hit the vdimm up more then what the Gigabyte cards support... If in doubt, just get faster rams to start with.

Best of luck.
B!

-=Mr_B=- said:
My sugestion still would be the GA-8knxp, 2x2Sata raid (ICH5+SiL) and 2xPata, not including the 2 standard Pata for boot and so on, if thats your preference.

However, since thats not what your asking.
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe is the widly used and admited overclock king... Doubt you'll get that much more out of it tho..

As you said yourself, the multiplyer unlocking dosent work for the 3.0 cpu, and at the multiplyer you have, i doubt you'll hit high enough fsb's to make it a must to hit the vdimm up more then what the Gigabyte cards support... If in doubt, just get faster rams to start with.

Best of luck.
B!

Just for your own knowledge, the Asus P4C800E-DX has support for the ICH5R, and a Promise controller that does SATA & IDE RAID (even does so mixed, SATA and IDE). Theoretically, you can have 3 RAID arrays on this board, in addition to the regular 2 IDE chains. For a grand possible total of 10 drives (not including floppy drives). It's not likely anyone will need more than two arrays, in addition to the regular IDE chains or have a power supply strong enough to support that many drives. So either board would be a good choice. Just my 0.02 cents.

CrystalMethod, i know, but as i said, the GA-8KNXP adds a little more..
the 2 basic pata, 4 drives, 2 Sata by ICH5, 2 by SiL, and finaly 2xpata by Gigaraid chip.

Lets count on fingers shal ve, i get easyly confused, so i'll try my best.. 2+2 Pata channels (where of only 2 are raidable) thats 4 Pata channels, each good for 2 drives each, 8 drives, and then there was 2+2 Sata.. Um, they only support 1 drive each so this math wont hurt my head as much... somhow it seams to be a total of 12 drives?

Scary, seams the GA-8KNXP still is recomended IF he wants the extra drives... Like i did want the extra drive options. If he dosent, then i belive the Asus card is the better overclocker, but not by that much.. also, IF he dosent want the raid possabilities that much... ALL ICH5 Sata mobos, support raid... so if it dosent have to be Pata, he can get a much cheaper card.

btw Crystal, that means both mobos support a total of 3 raid sets, just that the Gigabyte supports a larger Pata raid.. and if thats your fancy, turn of the raid mode, and the gigaraid chip supports 4 atapi units... (yes, you can run 1 atapi, and 3 harddrives, but no raid at all possible when connecting a atapi device to the gigaraid chip, my advice, use the 2 standard pata channels for atapi devices if needed...)

CrystalMethod, both mobos are a good choise, offcourse, they are just slightly different (come to think of it, dosent the Asus card use the 3Com Gigabit lan chip, means its max speed is 266Mbit, limited by the PCI bus, where as Gigabyte picked the Intel "original" chip, not having a shared PCI channel...altho, both should keep most home users happy) Im happy trotting along with my board, i think he well be happy aswell, aslong as he looks at what he needs, and dosent cut a corner and later find out he would have wanted something different. Most reports say the asus card is a better overclocker. that is its strongest card.

B!

i think i can give u some info about both ASUS and gigabyte boards as i did own both boards.. a year ago i upgraded my pentium3 PC to 8KNXP board, an excellent board with lotsa added features (no need to repeat wots been said on this post).. overclocks well.

now i upgraded to asus P5AD2 Premium, very nice board, not the much extra features that gigabyte offers, overclocks to mad lvls BUT.. i got a call from factory warrenty and they recalled my board along with my radeon x800 xt asus GPU. i tried to ask around about this, was told that asus pushed the limit too far beyond the limits allowed by intel in overclocking. ASUS claims that the new boards were recalled due to ich6 chipset problems.

my next choice of course was 8ANXP-D board, the 1 i have now.. EXCELLENT is a wot i can call it, total of 8 SATA ports (4xsil3114) tons of other added features that are cool, my CPU is overclocked to 4012GHz (from 3.4) i didnt push further cuz its really enough and stable..

cant answer anything about any other board stated here cuz i havent tried or read about them.

Back