• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mixing/matching RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thanatos_2005

i have a stick of kingston 512k PC3200 in my computer and am about to buy a second stick of 512k kingston, but this one is a hyperx PC-4000

my question is: will this screw with my PC, having unmatching RAM sticks

i don't think so, but i really need to know everything that having unmatching sticks will do to my computer

thanks guys

No it won't screw up your computer. I've run two different speeds of Corsair before and right now I'm running two different speeds of two different brands of RAM with no problems. The only thing is, of course, is that the settings you put into the BIOS have to conform with the most limited module you have. For example, if, say, your PC 4000 can only handle 3-3-3-6 and your PC3200 can handle 2-3-3-6, then you'll have to go with the slower timings.

The stick you are about to put in (PC4000) is rated with looser timings than the one you have in now? Then you may have to change your timings in the BIOS. But try it first, hey! it might work. If you start having random crashes, calculation errors, or whatever then you know who the culprit is.

plus I believe that the stick of 4000 will be reduced to the speeds of the 3200 it will not take advantage of the pc4000 speeds no matter what the timings. You can loosen the timings on the 3200 and oc it as much as possible. But again the motherboard will only run the 4000 at what the 3200 is capable of max.

*jj said:
plus I believe that the stick of 4000 will be reduced to the speeds of the 3200 it will not take advantage of the pc4000 speeds no matter what the timings. You can loosen the timings on the 3200 and oc it as much as possible. But again the motherboard will only run the 4000 at what the 3200 is capable of max.

Well yeah assuming the mobo's set to auto detect. I sort of assumed Thanatos would enter all that in manually, in which case it'll run at whatever he's set the FSB to.

Back