• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decent memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DonnieM

Registered
GeIL Value Dual Channel PC3200 400MHz DDR - $89

512MB (2X256MB)Dual Channel DDR Kits.
184pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered, high performance DDR memory modules.
GeIL 5ns 32x8 & 64x8 Density DDR Chip.
6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded PCB.
Optimized SPD for Dual Channel DDR motherboards.
Blue Aluminum Heat Spreader.
Lifetime Warranty .
CAS 2.5 8-4-4 (GE5123200BDC)

What are you using it for? If you are doing heavy overclocking, no, but if you just want to run stock, it is fine.

BH-5 is the best ram ever, and if you look in the Cyber Deals section, you will find a post for this ram. It is great, can do around 250mhz at 2-2-2-11 timings, making it a favorite for overclockers. I second the suggestion to get this ram instead. You are right, this is Kingston. BH-5 is the name of the ram chips used on this stick. I have 2x256 and 2x512 of this.

Cool, thanks cetoole. Unfortunately right now budget is an issue. I will do some looking around. This is for another machine I am building that MIGHT have a mild overclock, nothing radical.

Any opinions on this Corsair?
CMX256A-4000 XMS4000 256MB 3-4-4-8

How much is that ram, the Kingston BH-5 is only $45 per 256 stick, which is about the price you will pay for value ram, but it is good stuff. The timings on that Corsair are very loose, so if you use them on an AMD system, performance will suffer significantly.

cetoole said:
How much is that ram, the Kingston BH-5 is only $45 per 256 stick, which is about the price you will pay for value ram, but it is good stuff. The timings on that Corsair are very loose, so if you use them on an AMD system, performance will suffer significantly.
Well, I think I am going to hold out and get a couple of BH5 sticks and then use my old memory out of my machine I am on now in the machine I am building. The rig I am using now is the one I am trying to overclock.

BTW, not much chance of me ever building an AMD machine...I am an intel guy through and through. :D

Back