• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Msi 865Pe Neo2 Fis2r - No manual ramtimings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Willemoes

Registered
Hi

I´ve spend hours trying to lower my timings with Crucial Ballistix Pc4000 at 1:1 250fsb but with this board (Msi 865PE Neo2 FIS2R) it seems impossible to adress manual timings above 220fsb 1:1.

Up to 225 i can change Spd to manual, but according to Cpu-z the biossettings have no effect.

Above 230fsb, when I change spd from "enabled" to "disabled", the board will reset and retart with default settings (fsb200-spd enabled).

Another curiosity is that spdvalues below 220fsb in Bios are 2.5-3-3-6 (cpu-z: 2-3-3-6),
above 230fsb they are 3-4-4-8 (same in cpu-z).

I have tried performance mode set to "Slow", "Fast" and "Turbo" - no effect.
V.dimm I´ve tried 2.5-2.9 - no difference.

I´ll try again and try to write down the exact settings - but obviously I would like the ability to have some kind of manual settings above 230fsb (or even below - as I then could raise fsb using Clockkgen).

I´ve tried Bios v. 1.7, 1.9 and the latest - no difference.

Does anybody with this board have manual timing above (or below) 230fsb?

Regards, Finn

Have you looked at Sandra or other programs to make sure CPU-z just isn't recording your timings wrong? I don't think it's ever accurately read mine, so I just go by what they're set to in BIOS.... or see if my memory performance changes in Sandra when I change the timings in BIOS.

Maybe Dcasole or some of the other guys with your board will show up soon, but that's my opinion. You might try http://forum.msi.com.tw that's where Dcasole usually is and the guys over there are great if you need any help.

Hope this helps

-Meatball

BTW, Welcome to the Forums :)

Hi

Thank You for Your welcome and reply

No, haven´t yet tried anything but cpu-z. Saw there´s a new version out. Gonna try that as well as Sandra.

regards, finn

Willemoes, I get the same result when using CPUZ , I am not sure that it is actually reading the timings or just what is programed into the memory chips

As MTB states I just set the timings in the BIOS and use Sissandra to measure the improvement
Above 230fsb, when I change spd from "enabled" to "disabled", the board will reset and retart with default settings (fsb200-spd enabled).
I think what is happening here is the board is sensing that the timings are to tight . Set it to disabled but leave the stock timings.

Have you raised your memory voltage to 2.7 or 2.8 yet ? This usually cures the reboot issue with MSI boards

Let us know how you make out
Dave

Hi

Thanks for Your feedback

And here are the report from the land of 1000 restarts..

Sandra at fsb250, Spd enabled (2.5-4-4-8-8), 1:1, V.dimm 2.85V. Perf.Mode/Slow is around 5400.

Problem still is, though, from fsb220 when I change Spd from enabled to disabled (even though not chancing the timings) the board restarts -at 220 when trying to load Windows ( but keeping settings (fsb etc.))
At 225 and above I get a black screen for about 20 seconds, and it restarts with near-default settings (fsb200, default Vcore - but keeping Vdimm and Cpu/Dram ratio (400))

One small highlight, though: I tried Perf. Mode: Turbo at 250 and it raised Sandra to almost 5700 (and Prime didn´t fail within the first minute - which is my normal threshold of patience when fiddling with this kind of stuff (checking settings...)

So I think I´ll leave it at that and just be satisfied for now..

Regards, Finn

(By the way, latest cpu-z reports 2 Spd tables: 200Mhz:2-3-3-6 and 250 Mhz:2.5-4-4-10 (!))

Finn, did you raise the memory voltage yet?

2.7 or 2.8 ( which ever is the lowest that the board will run stable)

Like I said before this usually stops the " reboot" issue with MSI boards

do a seach in the P4 section and you will see what I mean
MSI Boards

Good Luck
Dave

Hi Dcasole

Yes I did:

[QUOTE=Willemoes.

Sandra at fsb250, Spd enabled (2.5-4-4-8-8), 1:1, V.dimm 2.85V. Perf.Mode/Slow is around 5400.

Do You know if the board undervolts (around 3.1V should be safe for Ballistix, though it doesn´t improve performance much)

Been reading the Msi forum and seen a few others with timing problems, gonna do a search on the "reboot issue".

Regards, Finn

Ps: (OT) How do You make those "quote-boxes"?

Finn , I am not sure if the board undervolts but I agree with you your memory should be fine

Man, I do not know what to tell you as you will see when you do a seach of the " reboot" posts that everyone has been able to solve it by raising the Memory Voltage

Do you think it might be a problem with your memory?? Do you have any you can swap out and just try it?

Keep us posted

Dave

Back