• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acessing a Directory Help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Here is the situation.

Friends computer fails to load OS (XP) failing with a stop error everytime.
Attempting to load OS in safe mode has the same results.
When attempting to re-install OS, XP says the Drive is damaged and needs a format.

So I pull the HDD and install into my computer.
Windows runs a Scan Disk on the drive and the drive comes up as fully working with no errors.
I then Scan the drive and clean off a 3 virus files (different virus)
Next i proced to recover information.
I can access all Directories except the 2 user accounts in Documents and settings folder.
I am the Admin of my computer, but cant access the admin folders of the other HDD.
I have since recived the admin password for the other computer from my friend.

So my question is will this work?
Create an account on my computer with the same login and password as my friends HDD, log into my computer using his information and access the files?

I have never had a problem before in getting into an admins acount from another computers on mine before either. So any other tips or information regarding this problem will be usefull. Thing is is feel i am missing the simplest thing and hopefully will rember it once i get home tonight, or someone here can tweak my memory a bit and help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Depending on whether the version of XP installed is Home or Pro, it makes a difference afa the ability to access the My Documents folder. Regardless of the version of XP, you'll need to take ownership of the My Documents folder, and must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative priveleges to do so. In XP Home, you have to boot to Safe Mode and logon as Administrator, or use the cacls.exe tool (located in C:\WINDOWS\system32) from an admin account in normal mode in order to make changes to the NTFS file permissions. To enter Safe Mode, hold down the F8 key just before Windows starts to load.

Only Pro allows you to disable the simple file sharing mode (My Computer | Tools | Folder Options | "View" tab | Uncheck "Use simple file sharing") and access the security tab in normal mode of operation. Simple file sharing makes the My Documents folder private from everyone, including other Admins, so your files won't be visible to others who logon to the console. By default, XP Pro uses Simple File sharing when it's not joined to a domain.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

All fixed.
Just added my user acount in security.....
Thought I was included in "Everyone" guess I was wrong.
So i simple added "jay" under security and i am in.

Oh and i shoudl have mentioned I run XP Pro and had simple file sharing disabled amkes the Home network a real pain with it on.

THanks for the help

edit guess i should also meantion i then went to advanced under security, owner -> replace owner on subcontainers or objects.

If you dont do that you have to change ownership for every didrectory you are trying to access

Last edited:
Back