• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick elp guys? Windows XP boot problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikes95XLT

Quick help guys? Windows XP boot problem

Hey guys

My mom really needs to get some files off her computer for a presentation tonight so any quick responses would be helpful.

Her computer tries to boot up, but it says:

ntldr is missing
press any key to restart

I press any key and the same message comes up. I can boot off a floppy with ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini that I made just a few minutes ago, but cannot get her computer to boot regularly.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
boot from the cd, go to recovery console and copy ntldr from the floppy or cd to the system drive.

You can also try to copy ntldr to the hard drive when you are able to boot into the OS. You'll need to put it on the system drive (probably C:\).

Try out Linux

Hi Mikes95XLT your first priority is toget down the files so use a Linux version of bootable cd (Eg: Knoppix) boot the machien out of it and get down the files to a flash card a burn into a cd ad makes mom happy :p
Later on you can try the repair of windows xp booting from the windows xp and choosing the correct option. It's always good to keep a bootalbe os cd in case if u ever faced a problem like this.

Hey guys thanks for the help, but my problem is this: I don't have the CD with me. I'm home from school and the CD is in my dorm room 2 hours away. So I'm left with a floppy option.

I tried copying the files to the C: drive (booted Windows, opened command prompt, and copied from a:>filename to c but it just put the files in Documents and Settings on the C drive. Where do I need to put the files so that it works?

Thanks guys.

This article will get you going in the right direction afa replacing ntldr or getting into the Recovery Console so that Windows can repair itself...

How to troubleshoot the "NTLDR Is Missing" error message in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318728

...and possibly this one:

You Receive an "NTLDR Is Missing" Error Message When You Start Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=320397

NTLDR is one of the three boot/loader files required to boot into an NT based OS...NTLDR, NTDetect.com & Boot.ini. Another command you could run at the Recovery Console is...bootcfg /rebuild (which rebuilds the Boot.ini file), besides fixboot and fixmbr.

This MSKB article describes the installation and use of the Recovery Console...

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP (Q307654)

I've done all that so far... except the recovery console thing cause I don't have the CD here with me.

I copied the file to the c:\windows\servicepackfiles\ folder, but I don't have a c:\windows\drivers\i386 folder. I just have the drivers folder itself. I also don't have the c:\oldi386 folder either. Still won't load.

I am working with WinXP I forgot to mention that, don't know if it changes anything.

I've read through the articles and tried that stuff, but it's the same stuff you guys have told me. I booted with a MS-DOS startup disk and got to a command prompt, and tried to copy the files from a to c, but it said access denied. So no help there either.

You'll need any windows XP startup disk to access the recovery console, which AFAIK is the only way to gain access to an NT file system and be able to write to it without actually using the XP GUI.

You can also access the Recovery Console as a startup option. While in Windows, insert the XP CD into your CD-ROM drive | Start | Run | Type the following where D: is the CD-ROM drive letter...D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons | Follow the instructions on the screen.

To run the Recovery Console, restart your computer and select the Recovery Console option from the list of available OS's. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Soooooooooo basically you guys are saying that I need the WinXP CD to access the recovery console and then that will help me fix my problem eh?

Back