• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fat32 formating from within WinXP Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi all,

I have a USB hard drive that is formatted in NTFS & its mostly great but when I go to backup data on my parents Win98 PC, I cant use my USB HD for the task.

How do I go about formatting an external Hard drive that is currently formatted in NTFS & changing it to Fat32.

There is no data on the drive that needs to be saved. I can scrap the whole thing.

Thanks,
Rich

Can you not do it through the Disk Management or Removable Storage console? I've never used an external before, but that would be my first guess to check if you couldn't do it straight through windows explorer. Go to control panel -> performance and maintenance -> administrative tools -> computer management, and look under the Storage section. This little console is nice to handle partitions and formatting and such.

Im going to guess his drive is to large to let XP format it to FAT32, means his best bet would prolly be to format it on the parrents puter, or by using Partition magic, if that works... Best of luck.
B!

Drive Manager should have no problem. FAT32 up to 2 TB. Just delete the partition, create a new one and format it FAT32.

Best

Back