• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question on chipsets and memory speed compatibility.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sroek

Registered
What would you say is the best motherboard chipset for overclocking?

And is it ok to put multiple memory modules with varying speed ratings together in DIMM slots? I have a 3200 and and a 2700. Thanks.

for what platform? A64? P4?

Putting 2 memory sticks with different speed timings can be iffy. If the board does an autodetect on the speeds, it will run at the speed of the slowest stick detected. Otherwise,it shouldn't be an issue unless they are incompatible with the board or with each other (which happens but not with great frequency).

Welcome to the Forums

Thanks. I'm putting a 256DDR 3200 Corsair stick, and a 256DDR 2700 Kingston stick into the same motherboard. It's an ASUS A7N8X-X nForce2 400 for AMD socket A's. I want to know if it's alright to do this, otherwise I will just get another of the same speed Corsair, but 512MB.

what CPU? Are you intending to overclock?

the modules should have no problem functioning, i've found that board is pretty good with memory, i've thrown many different types of modules at it with no issues.

Athlon XP 2500+ Barton

Yes I do plan on overclocking my entire system.

it's possible that the PC2700 will hold you back. If you start to get problems that are related to memory, either try increasing the memory voltage or take the PC2700 out and keep trying.

Back