• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worried about frying my ram again..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FyreDaug

K, tommorow I'm building back up the beast and of course Im gonna OC again (duh... :p) now I dont wanna run the ram too fast and risk frying it again (even though its lifetime warranty on kingston, I dont wanna keep going back to the store). What would you suggest for the best/most stable system?

Before I was running 212FSB 1:1 with a 3.2 running 3.36 stable 24/7. Then I got into some more modding/tweaking and I wanted to go all out. I discovered my ram wasnt dual channel (and I still got 10k+ 3d03's) so I changed that over. 125% increase in bandwidth over what it was. Since it was dual for some reason I could tighten the timings even more to 2-2-2-5 and it was stable at 212 1:1. Still wasnt enough for me. So I tried doing all I could to maximize performance. Must have run it too hard, both sticks of ram fried and so did p4p800se. So now I want more cpu mhz and probably 5:4 ram (since the dual channel is already a big improvement (which I was stupid enough to forget) so higher cpu speed would be the only other thing that can have as big of an impact in performance.

What would you recommend? 5:4 timings with a fairly high FSB (230ish) I had a system running before at 232 at 5:4 2-2-2-5. If I bump up the mhz I could kill some timings a little to get more performance. But I want something stable.

Would lower latency with a decent clock rate be good enough, or would loser timings with higher FSB be better for me?

Theres no stock cooling left so cooling shouldnt be too much of an issue, keeping in mind it is still air. Just efficient.

I'm thinking I could get the 3.2 running 3.7 with 5:4 ram with as tight as timings as I could get would be the best for me. I still want 97.5%+ stability. Any suggestions appreciated.

You should actually strive for 100% stability ;)

your system running at 3.7ghz would be faster overall than running at 3.36ghz, even with looser memory timings.

I would go for 1:1, with looser memory timings. Intel's love bandwidth.

Hmm, the new sticks of ram I got dont seem to like tighter timings. I'm going to bench the 2 possibilities. Right now I have 225 fsb 5:4 which runs 3616mhz at 1.456V. Ram has 180bus at 2.75V @ 2-3-3-5-1T

that's a pretty high voltage for ram to achieve those timings at that speed. What kind of memory did you buy?

You'd get better performance by loosening those timings and running 1:1, if possible.

...Now depending on the type of chips on your ram, I suggest you stay within the recommended range. BH-5 or 6 really dont mind high V, but if your chips are TCCD be careful....

Back