• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SQL server 2005 hardware requierment?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Mr_B=-

Ok, so, i got a msdn subscription here at work, now my only problem is, i cant really figure out what the system spec requierment is for sql server 2005... yes, its beta, but it should atleast show some hints to what it will need later on... Kinda need to know so we know when we are going to have to upgrade the rest of the servers pulling around in the server room.

Anyone who has an idea, if even a % comparison to SQL server 2003, is welcome to share the wealth.

Im figuring 1Ghz P3's with 1Gb ram wont take this place to much longer, with it being a webhotell, holding most its pages info on the same server, and 3 servers to access it... Dual upgrade might save the day (is dual capable, just havent been done yet, and now might be hard to do...)

B!

There is no SQL Server 2003. Anyways as for testing 2005, I would put it on Windows 2003 Standard with a minimum of a p4 2.4 and a gig of ram. Dual p3 1ghz should run it fine for testing since it will use both processors.

Remember the MSDN License doesn't let you use it for production, only testing.

The beta is only going to be used for testing and eval, untill the full is available (or it allready is.. no idea, not me handling that part) im just supposed to build a rig, to handle 5 webservers constantly requesting data from it... As for no SQL 2003, i have no idea yet again, just jumped on a assumption, since its what ever "came with" win 2K3 Server.

From your statment, for "testing" it should be plenty with the dual P3.. but since we are shopping for new stuff, its most likely going to be a new dual / quad capable... Simply depends on what budget they give me.

To bad they dont list hardware requierment anywhere (atleast not so that i found it) all i know is it complained about memory when kicked in on a 1Ghz 1Gb P3 thingy..

Oh well.
B!

-=Mr_B=- , SQL 2005 probably won't be out till spring and it might be a good idea to wait a few more months to see if any post release patches come out before moving ahead. It might not be backward compatible with all sql 2000 apps.

If your concerned about ram, windows 2003 server will do a much better job at memory allocation than 2000.

At work we're moving to a Active/Passive SQL 2000 enterprise cluster. It may be slower than a quad machine but it's redundant so if one machine fails the other takes over. Two webservers, two dual processor sql server boxes, and a emc ax100 network storage box. Its going to be a nightmare to setup.

I belive i'll live happyer without the nightmare, my software skills are more then challenged when i just try and set up Win2003Server to a usefull enviroment, not to mention adding server services and "stuff", i have a partner in crime to do those settings just to save me the trouble.. however, im quite sure the skills for this is limited, and even tho it would be tempting, i doubt we are going to put this on a cluster, a standalone server, for access from the IIS servers only, isolated from the external net, yup, sounds like an idea. That i might actually pull off. And, so far we aint going to need the more "fancy" setups.. (or can afford it)

Sounds like the memory / cpu requierments aint expected to be "that hard" atleast.. i guess i see a Dual Xeon ~3Ghz with 4Gb ram in my future... Might go for a quad capable mobo, and leave 2 sockets open "for now"

Thanks.
B!

Back