• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What matters more?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamie_bkc

OK so I have now gone from wanting a 2x 256 kit to a 2x512, i'm gonna get one now and the other at christmas, but due to fund I now have to give something up, do I... Go from getting 3200 to 2700....OR....go from getting tccd chips with 2-2-2-5 to something like 2-3-3-6?

It depends on your system. If you have a P4 or Athlon system likely to reach ~200+ MHz FSB speeds then PC3200 at more relaxed timings will be a lot better than PC2700 at tighter timings.

i'm going to be running a 2600 mobile on an nf7-s with water, so you think 3200 with laxer timings?

jamie_bkc said:
i'm going to be running a 2600 mobile on an nf7-s with water, so you think 3200 with laxer timings?

Yeah, because that 2600 mobile will be going over 166MHz (hopefully!). Using PC2700 would mean tighter timings but the extra bandwidth will outweigh that AFAIK.

ok soooooo.... what ram would you reccommend, the pqi turbo ram looked nice.

jamie_bkc said:

You should be able to get up near 240 with the PQI 2-2-2-5 ram... that's what I use and I'm rock solid at 240 with cpc on (1T).

jamie_bkc said:

Im using the Turbo Ram and you can see my results on air, but spend the extra money and get the ram that HouseRat has. It has the tccd ic's. I think we came to the conclusion that mine were the Mosel set. Its working alright, but I guarantee that its going to be my weak spot. Good value though and they are rated at 6-3-3-2 per manufaturer spec.

thats the thing I haven't got the extra, just wondering if i'm going to go for laxer latencies could I not just get another one of what i've got? (novatech.co.uk brand) untitled.jpg

Last edited:
corsair seem to be highly reccommended are their value select sticks anygood considering they're cas3?

Most Corsair value DC kits can be had in CAS 2.5 for minimal cost difference. These ones will give you a better overclocking potential than the CAS 3 models.

not looking for a DC kit, but anyway, just saw this and it seems a bargain at £75 and cas3 on 3700, this is good right?

Kingmax are supposed to be pretty good. I don't have any personal experience with them though. Believe they were one of the first out of the gate with BGA memory modules.

Back