• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Add Notepad to |-Right-Click --> New-| menu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

For some reason, notepad has disappeard from my new menu (right click, new). I've already tried using tweak UI for XP to add it to the templates list, but even with notepad added to the list and checked, it doesn't show up on the menu. Anyone know of the registry setting where I can manually re-add notepad to the list? Or at least some way to rebuild the list to default?

Thanks.

Try unchecking it in TweakUI, clicking Apply, then checking and clicking Apply again. If that doesn't work...Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch in the Registry...

HKEY CLASSES ROOT | .txt | ShellNew

Highlight the ShellNew key, then check in the RH pane for a String Value name of NullFile, with no Value Data set. If the Value name doesn't exist, right click in the RH pane, and select New-->String Value | Name the new Value NullFile, and hit ENTER | You should only have Reg_SZ showing under "Type" for that Value. If you right click the NullFile Value name, and select "Modify"...the "Value data" field in the "Edit String Value" window that opens should be blank.

Back