• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could my memory be incompatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbarket

As stated in my sig, I have 2x512mb of OCZ PC3200 Enhanced Latency.

On the original board I bought it for, an AOpen board, it worked great--I could push it to ~245 at 2.8v without any problems. Something happened (still don't really know what... hell of a short probably) and choked that board to death, and took the CPU with it. Since then, one of my DIMMs appears dead... won't POST at all with this new motherboard (in my sig) if it's in.

The other, however, works... but it won't push past ~217mhz at 1:1. At 5:4, I have little problem pushing it up into the mid-20s.

Lately, I've been having lockups when gaming. I can bench just fine... all the way through 3D Mark 05 over and over without an issue, dual Prime95 for 15 hours with no issues, temps are fine on both CPU and GPU.... but occasionally games will checker out and lock. I considered this a graphics issue until a friend built a very similar system and ran into the same problem--the RAM he had bought functioned fine, passed memtest86 and such, but was just incompatible with his board and was causing the lockups. He swapped out the RAM, and it worked fine.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to another DIMM or two to test out this hypothesis, so I was curious if anyone thought this could be the problem? It passes memtest86 just fine and such, but I still get these weird random locks.

hm,you could try some more juice perhaps?my pc-3200 el(that i m just selling on ebay) worked up to 248 fsb 11-2-2-2@3,3 vdimm

without knowing much about your board.. sounds like you're experiencing a bios issue. have you updated to a newer bios? or are you using the latest?

I'm pretty sure it's the latest, but I'll check to make sure.

I wish I could crank my vdimm up more, but the only options I have at +0.1->+0.3, so it sits at +0.3. Unfortunately, my BIOS doesn't list any voltages except CPU voltage in it's monitoring area, so my best guess is that speedfan's second Vcore voltage for me is my vdimm, which would put it at 2.94v.

What if I loosened up timings? SPD is 2-3-2-5. I've never really messed with memory timings by hand, outside of correcting them if the system decides it doesn't want to run at the speeds the sticker says it should, so I'm not really sure what I should crank down. It actually appears to be down on it's own according to cpuz which reports it at 2-4-4-8 when run at 5:4.

My board is a little crazy and has 2 BIOSs, and the backup one was still configured for the Rev1 version of this board (when I first got it, I flashed the wrong thing... had no idea it was a Rev2). I flashed it back to the Rev2 newest. Don't know if this'll really help or anything, but can't hurt.

Back