• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended 478 Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clean_Baldy

I am buidling a new system to play Doom 3 and HL2!

My processor:

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

Specifications:
Model: Intel Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading
Core: Prescott
Operating Frequency: 2.8GHz
FSB: 800MHz
Cache: L1/12K+16K; L2/1MB
Voltage: 1.4V
Process: 0.09Micron
Socket: Socket 478

I'll be running Dual Channel PQI PC3200 (2-2-2-5) 1GB

I want onboard sound, at least 5.1 and decent.

The rest, I can work around..

I like the Abit IC7 series, but I've seen a couple of people having problems with that RAM on the Abit mobos, so I'd have to recommend the Asus P4C800 series instead (not the P4P800). With the Prescott, you are better off with a i875 chipset. Read my Prescott cooling article listed in my signature.

I would like to throw another option into the ring

My MSI 865 NEO 2 LS has been the most trouble free board I have ever owned and it has handled overclocking well
(see my signature as I am running the same CPU and memory as you)

Make sure you don't forget the power supply . You will need one with at least 22 amps on the 12v rail as Prescotts are "Power Hogs"
Good Luck
Dave

I would also like to throw somethign else in. Everyone I've talked to regarding motherboards (I was going to get the p4c) say that the p4c isnt as reliable. Its got some more features to keep the prescott running better, but alot of them have been faulty with a 3.2E or faster. The only problem the p4p has is the mosfets cant give enough power. If you plan on making a 3ghz a 4ghz with water cooling or something, this isnt the board for you. I can push out 400mhz over the 3200 stock and run fine. Plus theres like 85$+ difference

Back