• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My cooling towers(pics), not finished.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamesavery22

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0006.JPG

PICT0008.JPG

PICT0009.JPG

Pump and block should be in soon and I'll post results. Just wanted to share my progress :D

I think it's a 2x alum res/rad with fins and a wind tunnel. Genius idea, but how well will it work?
Either way, it's gonna look great.

Its two 12" transmission coolers. Found em on ebay for 40$. I really dont know if they even have a specific type name. Ive never seen them labeled as anything specific other than "transmission cooler."

I dont think they will preform very well. Just wanted to make something quiet and make people say "wtf is that?"

Im assuming the rads are transmission coolers, correct?
EDIT*ahh I took too long !!*/EDIT

One question, are they finned internally as well, or are they Reserator-style??
Also, why not run the shrouds further the rads? With your fans pulling upwards, the lower part of the fins isnt getting much airflow. I dont know if the heat-rises concept is worth relying on here...

Overall I like the idea, keep pushing it and give us some properly measured temps when your done (if you can).

One word....corrosion inhibitor is your friend.

SenC

Senater_Cache said:
Im assuming the rads are transmission coolers, correct?
EDIT*ahh I took too long !!*/EDIT

One question, are they finned internally as well, or are they Reserator-style??
Also, why not run the shrouds further the rads? With your fans pulling upwards, the lower part of the fins isnt getting much airflow. I dont know if the heat-rises concept is worth relying on here...

Overall I like the idea, keep pushing it and give us some properly measured temps when your done (if you can).

One word....corrosion inhibitor is your friend.

SenC

Internal is finned, wish I took a pic before I put the barbs on =\ Probably wouldnt have come out very well anyways.

If I put the shrouds further down it actualyl hurt airflow a good deal. I tried all the way down and got about half the air flow. Figured halfway was a good medium. Those 80s really dont create too much pressure.

As far as accurate temp readings I dont have any equipment to do that =\ Going to be cooling a 2500+ barton on a mn31n so I really dont have accurate temp readings from anything.

And yeah I already ordered 10 bottles of hydrx :D That was my main concern when I first saw the coolers.

Looks like a tunnel generator on a small scale. Great, now gimme some o them transmission coolers. Anyone got a URL for a supplier.

that looks awesome man. great work. you probably wont even need fans with them things.
also a blower type fan gives tons of pressure

Thanks for the compliments guys. If everything comes in this week I'll have final pics and results Friday. Michelle from Swiftech said my block will be shipped in two weeks from the 6th so Im not sure if it will get here this week or not. hopefully it will. Hopefully I'll have the whole box that the towers will be mounted on before I actually get the block too =)

As for a link where to buy the coolers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7927911261&category=46095

Best I could find. There were some cheaper listed but I couldnt see the pics so I wasnt sure. They have dual pass ones so the inlet and outlet are on the same side. I got these because I got them for 20$ a piece which is the cheapest Ive seen em.

Last edited:
Bugsmasher said:
Lol, mount those puppies on each side of your case and you can have the first official rocket propelled WCing system ;)

was actually my original idea :D

If you have a big case thats nice and sturdy you could mount them to the side of the case mounting up. Actually wouldnt be a bad idea. Chop off the top mounting bracket like I did, drill holes into the case to bolt the bottom mounting bracket through and you're done... I bet if you mounted like 4+ of these to the side of your case, ran em in series, you'd have a pretty decent passive setup. Course its not very cost effective but hey it would look tight! :D

Im using this with a mATX case though so dont have that luxury.

you probably wont even need fans with them things.

you dont need pressure in the config he has . you need velocity . there is verly little resistance in the setup he put there due to the fin spacing so even low pressure fans would work but the faster the air travels the better

rhino56 said:
that looks awesome man. great work. you probably wont even need fans with them things.
Why would he need pressure?
How would he mount the blower to the towers??

EDIT..I gotta start reading the entire thread b4 posting lol :bang head , Thorilan already covered it../EDIT

Back