• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Storm/G4 and Socket 754?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alacritan

I almost bought a Sempron 3100+ and DFI Lanparty mobo but looking at the pictures, I can't see any mounting holes around the CPU. Or on any other decent Socket 754 mobo. Is it possible the Storm block is incompatible with Socket 754 systems?

http://www.employees.org/~slf/lrwb/

"Q: What CPUs/Sockets will the block support

A: The block comes kit-complete to support:

* Socket 462 (AMD Socket A) via the 4-hole mounting method. Socket lug mounting is not supported.
* Socket 423 (Intel Willamette P4), Socket 603/604 (Intel Xeon) via the 4-holes through the motherboard
* Socket 478 (Intel Northwood P4/EE) via the 4-holes through the motherboard by removing the black heatsink bracket.
* Socket 754/939/940 (all AMD Athlon64 series) via the 2-holes screwing into the socket back-plate method
* Socket 775 (Intel Socket T Prescott-style LGA) via the 4-holes through the motherboard method "

You remove the black heatsink bracket that surrounds the CPU socket, which reveals the two mounting holes for XP64 on either side of the socket. The block is mounted by screwing a pair of 6-32 threaded bolts into the mounting back-plate that should have come with your motherboard.

With the first batch of Storm blocks I included some 1.5" long 6-32 bolts to do this, but hadn't realised that not all mobo makers were not following the AMD reference back-plate design, and that some XP64 mobos (DFI included) require 2" long 6-32 bolts to mount the block properly. I have been shipping the 2" long 6-32 bolts for free to anyone who asks who has a Storm block, and the 2" long bolts will be included with all future blocks.

I didn't know you could remove the bracket. Awesome.

It arrived today btw and it looks great. Now the question is, do I slap it onto my Barton or wait a week for the Sempron to arrive?

I should buy some of that Koolance Liquid Blue crap while I'm at it and save the hassle of buying Pentosin or clear antifreeze and blue UV dye. At $6 for 600ml I'll have to reuse it though.

Back