• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VIA 1300 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoobInside

When i first plug it in (when turning on the computer or something for the first time, i leave the pump off when my computer is off ) the pump makes a loud humming/vibrating noise when operating. then if i unplug it and then replug it back in quickly, it runs a lot quieter so that i can barely hear it. is something going wrong with my pump? or is this normal?

Mine started doing this after about 3 weeks. The plastic rod that the impeller spins on is a flexible plastic which starts to eat away the plastic hole on the impeller. After 3 weeks the hole on mine had doubled in size so the impeller now rattles around hitting the edge of the pump.

Most likely thats your problem and the only way to silence it is to replace the impeller which will only do it again. Or replace the pump which is what I did.

Last edited:
So you guys would not reccomend this pump?? I could get it for about $30 Canadian, but if it gets holes in it I don't think I want it :)

Noobinside:

I agree with greenman, it sounds like the pump is having startup issues. This is common if you did the silence mod.

wannoac:

The white shaft in my 1300 is rigid. I believe it is ceramic. One thing about the 1300 is that the shaft ends seat into little rubber cups. In the last two 1300s I have used those cups have been improperly installed from the factory. The rubber cup makes the hole about half the size. That may be what happened in your pump. That little rubber cup may be in your rad. Let's hope not.

The last 1300 I used actually had two of the little cups shoved into the hole on the impellor end, and the pump would not go back together once I got it apart. That took me a while to figure out.

SOShootME said:
Noobinside:

I agree with greenman, it sounds like the pump is having startup issues. This is common if you did the silence mod.

wannoac:

The white shaft in my 1300 is rigid. I believe it is ceramic. One thing about the 1300 is that the shaft ends seat into little rubber cups. In the last two 1300s I have used those cups have been improperly installed from the factory. The rubber cup makes the hole about half the size. That may be what happened in your pump. That little rubber cup may be in your rad. Let's hope not.

The last 1300 I used actually had two of the little cups shoved into the hole on the impellor end, and the pump would not go back together once I got it apart. That took me a while to figure out.

good QC eh?

that's why they're $15-not bad pump, bad QC

Buy a Mag 3 from Big Al's aquarium shop. They're $39 (US) plus $6 shipping and WAY the hell better than a Via Aqua. More powerful and more reliable than the Via Aqua and only half the price of an MCP650. You will need to replace the o-ring with RTV sealant and make sure you use nylon fittings instead of brass on the pump (so you don't break the plastic). Takes 5 minutes and you're good to go.

what if i just leave the pump on? i havent noticed any increases in temps so far.. everything seems to be working fine when its quiet. i bought the pump used, so im not sure if it was silent modded or not. and i dont know that much about pumps..

My VA1300 was run 24/7 for about a year, w/o problems. I don't use it right now, as I'm building a new water system w/case.

Are you sure there's no air getting into the pump? Mine makes a heckuva racket when I try starting it with even a small ammount of air in it...it actually sounds more like a bandsaw. Once it's full of water though, it's nice and quiet (without any mods) and starts well.
And yeah, my shaft is white ceramic too, and the "boots" were installed correctly by the factory.

greenman100 said:
contradiction of sorts

It's not going to destroy itself from the inside like a Via Aqua will most likely do (and it is the majority of them that do it). The Mag 3 MAY have a minor intake housing leak if you screw around with it or develop one over time as the o-ring dries out but if you take 5 minutes and replace it with silicone sealant it'll run forever. Mechanically it's built very well.

Not to mention it's more powerful than an MCP650 and only $39. You just can't beat that. $42 if you include the cost of RTV sealant.

I bought the Via Aqua 1300 when I set up my system about 10 days ago so I can't really comment on the longevity of the pump. I did the superglue mod and I noticed it does take it a bit longer to get going, but once it does get going it's super quiet. I did away the with suction cup bottoms and put it on foam in the bottom of my case.

So quiet I can't even hear it running. I did have a problem with the outlet fitting leaking, but some teflon tape and water proof epoxy fixed that.

At the price I paid for it, I can afford to buy another one to keep on stand by.

I've had my 1300 going strong for about 8 months (mostly 24/7) and just started getting that louder vibrating noise too. At times I would be able to turn pump off and back on and it would go away but that's not working anymore. I'm hoping it will last until christmas when I can get a newer more powerful pump.

Back