• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset Block???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mat1314

Wondering what you guys opinions are on these 2 chipset blocks? Which is better, the dd z block or the dd maze 4?? Both with 1/2 id barbs...

Definitely the Maze 4 but do look into the Swiftech NB block. Off the top of my head I don't remember which one is better but you should definitely check it out.

i kinda got a mixed message...on this forum i get the concensus that its not really needed, with some exceptions... however, on other sites they say its needed for overclocking, the nb being the memory controller and all........ I figure it wouldn't hurt to have one so what the hell. Oh and I got my maze4 today, it looks sweet!!

You probably won't need it unless you're doing some crazy overclocking. It doesn't hurt too much. It'll add heat to your loop and reduce your flow rate but it won't ruin your system. But you'd be better off putting heatsinks on your mosfets.

can I use just regular ram sinks for cooling the mosfets? BTW what are the best ram sinks to use? Right now i ve got copper iceberqs on my 9800pro...If i buy some more will those do?

I found watercooling my Northbridge to be pointless enough that I no longer watercool my Northbridge, and will never bother with it again.

A cheap (~$15) Aluminum air-cooler like the Thermalright NB-1, and some decent airflow, is more than sufficient for Northbridge cooling, even for someone pumping a large overvolt, and hefty FSB overclock through their chipset.

can I use just regular ram sinks for cooling the mosfets? BTW what are the best ram sinks to use? Right now i ve got copper iceberqs on my 9800pro...If i buy some more will those do?

I use those copper OCZ RAMsinks on my mosfets, although I had to cut them down to size to make them all fit - I got a bunch of them really cheap, and had some left over after sinking my 9800 Pro's RAM. Of all the options, I'd say that the OCZ BGA sinks are the best designed - if really overpriced most places.

You can really use any little heatsinks that you like the look of though, they will be just as effective. Just be sure to use Thermal Epoxy if you can get it - the thermal tape most RAMsinks come with is pretty inadequate as a heat-transfer material.

i have the thermalright nb-1 and damn that lil 40mm fan is loud. had to put it on a controller. since i've watercooled my system i've actually removed the fan, and rely on the fan in my case window to cool the NB heatsink. working so far, the thing never gets really warm.

Back