• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-G or MAX3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenko

Is the max3 worth the extra money? is the chipset slightly differant with the G using 875 and the max3 using a 875p?
Is there any performance gains with the max3?

Well, max 3 lets vdimm upto 3.2 although it's unstable as hell, the g lets it go to 2.8 or 9 so that would limit your oc... other than that, I don't know.

Thanks Im leanning towards the G as its cheaper, but as its the last 478 mobo i will buy i need some good reasoms to get the max 3 not bothered about stupid crap like that secure ide.

And it is going to be use to OC my presscot so the G may be better?

Last edited:
There isnt really too much difference between the boards. Don't quote me on this as I'm too lazy to look it up but the g has 2 sata while the max3 has 4 sata. If you do a search on xtreme for hipro you'll see he hit 400mhzx4 on a g.

actaully they both have 4 sata connectors. its the non "g" ic7 that has 2. really the only difference is the Max three has the OTES cooling and some quiet fan stuff as well as a little more flexibilty with some raid configurations.

edit* plus good luck finding a Max3. Ive seen a few in Europe but can't find one here. I looked for a week or so before getting my IC7-G. I couldn't find anything anywhere. Fry's had a Max3 on display bit the caps were all broken off and they were not expecting anymore of them. The G should do you fine it's a great board.

I can buy both localy but the max-3 is 30pounds more, is the power circuitry the same on both apart from the otes.
There website says the g use`s 875, and the max3 uses 875p is the chipset differant?

jenko said:
I can buy both localy but the max-3 is 30pounds more, is the power circuitry the same on both apart from the otes.
There website says the g use`s 875, and the max3 uses 875p is the chipset differant?

Intel only lists one 875 chipset, the 875p. I just ordered an IC7g max2 and the description says 875p. So it is the same chipset in both boards.

*jj said:
actaully they both have 4 sata connectors. its the non "g" ic7 that has 2. really the only difference is the Max three has the OTES cooling and some quiet fan stuff as well as a little more flexibilty with some raid configurations.

Actually the Max3 has 6 sata connectors 4 with the SI chip and 2 more using the Intel chip.

Boomstick said:
Actually the Max3 has 6 sata connectors 4 with the SI chip and 2 more using the Intel chip.
my bad, i was just trying to remember, I was sure it had more raid features though..right?...lol

Well i have 2 ide HD`s and dont even use sata, will opitical drives start using sata?

Some Optical drives currently are using SATA technology. I have a plextor DVD/rw drive that is a sata drive. I am currently IDE free which feels lovely....Those IDE cables are huge.

WheaT

Cerberus2k7 said:
Prescott - Use the IC7-G
Northwood - Use the Max3

General rule that i've learned :p

I'm sorry, but that's just nonsense :-/

They have identical circuitry, so why would that be?

To help choose between the two, consider this:

- The Max3 does allow 3,2 Vdimm (but to actually make it work, you need a mod)

- Most ppl trying to OC the bigger Prescott's, tend to remove the OTES to install custom sinks/fans (OTES simply isn't enough)

- Do you need 6 SATA ports?

I would save some money, and go with the MaxII (regardless of processor-choice)

Back