• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RBX's have a fan mount!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NovaShine

Not too long ago, i installed watercooling. One of the problems that came with it was that there was no airflow over the board whatsoever. The ram and the mosfets were burning hot so i couldnt go anywhere OCing. The CPU and NB was really, really cool, but nothing else. So i was thinking of how to mount a fan so that it puts a breeze over my ram and mosfets.

then i saw the threaded mounts of the RBX. I immediately picked up my 92mm Zalman fan and threaded a corner through the top right corner pole of the RBX. The fan is sandwiched between the spring and the nut at the top of the pole. The spring is slightly more compressed and the nut is right on the end of the pole, but the fan covers 2/3 of each ram stick and my ram turned from 55 degrees on the heatspreader to 22 degrees on the heatspreader.

Pics will come soon when i get home and get the digi cam working. Dosnt look very good, but it works. Maybe i might get a clear or LED 92mm or 120mm fan instead.

I know, but the ram isnt. For the CPU block being tipped over, i merely tightened the other 3 nuts to about the same spring length. Easily done.

wouldnt a well placed fan in side of the case window do the same? i mean as long as your still moving air thru the system it should stay rather cool in there.

What would make more sense is to mount the block as normal but then put the fan on the bolts. Finally, buy a new nut or something to hold the fan on the rod. Good idea for ram cooling.

im still lost as why you need to have a fan for your ram? they dont get that hot, i mean they done even need the heatspreders thats on them.

Heatspreaders are more like heat-retainers... They just look pretty.

Thegame, when you start pumping >3.4v through your ram, tell me they don't get hot. My mushkin in the sig heat up at 3.0 2-2-2-11 when being fully utilized by memtest for hours on hours.

Edit: Also it has been found that keeping your ram cooler can enhance your oc - off the top of my head someone here on the forums found a 7mhz increase when cooling his ram - others report around 2.

Pic's Pic's Pic's :D Where are the pics? :D

IMHO, I think the cooler you keep things the better. You might not see a greater overclock necessarily but I think it's probably better for your components to run cool than to run hot. BTW, my Corsair RAM runs very warm when running games.

I did a similar thing to cool the mosfets and passive NB on my system:

wcfan1.jpg

I mounted the fan on the extended bolts of the WB mount:

wcfan2.jpg

(I've since cleaned up the wiring mess you see here ) :D

It actually had a significant impact on my ability to OC this particular system, as the NB and MOSFET heat sinks would get scalding hot before the fan installation. I've got the fan ramped down to 5v on the fan bus so that it's essentially silent, and now the heat sinks are lukewarm at the most.

Back