• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm new: read the stickies but have some more questions. . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Odie812

Hello everyone,

First of all, I have read and attempted to comprehend the Water Cooling stickies as much as I could. Unfortunately, the FAQ's don't answer questions specific to one's individual setup. Therefore, I will tell you what I am thinking...

First of all, about me:

I am running what is listed in my sig. My case is the Antec Soho File Server "SX1040BII". I currently use the Thermalright SLK-948U and air cooling. Right now, my temps hang around 48-50 all the time in Windows, and 55-57 or so when I game and do interesting things. The thing is, my system is pretty quiet because I use 2000RPM 92mm fans to cool. My 6800 Ultra fan is about the loudest thing in addition to the fan in my Fortron. I like quiet. Well, pretty quiet. :)

Now, about water cooling:

My budget is approximately $200-$250. Of course, less is desirable.

My expectations for water cooling are very low. I am merely seeking a water cooling solution that will simply make my A64 a little bit happier temperature-wise and, if I'm lucky, let me OC a tiny bit more. Therefore, my priority is to cool the CPU, and possibly cool the other components later. I have looked primarily at Dangerden and liked what I saw. A Maze4 setup is what I had in mind initially, but the DD TDX/RBX looked appealing too... again, I am new and know little :) Like I said, I would like the option to water cool my chipset and my video card eventually (the Dangerden Nvidia 6800 Water Block looks mighty appealing), so if I could plan for those later purchases with my current purchase, that would be ideal.

What really makes my heart unsteady is the thought of radiators and heater cores. I'm sort of unsure, first of all, which to use, and secondly which brand/make/model of either to buy. It's important for you all to know that I am uncomfortable/incapable of modding things for the most part because I have no place to do so as I live in a city with no convenient way to buy appropriate tools.

For the hell of it, this is what I priced at Dangerden:

CPU Style: Athlon 64
CPU Water Block: Maze4 ($42)
Top Type: Brass Top ($5)
Chipset Blocks: None-- add later possibly
Video Card Blocks: None-- add DD Nvidia 6800 block later
Fitting Size: 1/2" Fittings
Radiator: Double Heater Core w/ shroud ($50) OR
Black Ice Xtreme Radiator ($66) (unsure which would be more appropriate)
Fan: However many 120mm fans I need
Peltier & Neoprene: None
Pumps: Eheim 1250 for 1/2" system ($62)
Tubing: 10 Ft Clearflex tubing ($12)
Reservoir: None -- is this necessary?
Thermal Paste: I have more AS5 than I can handle
Water Additives: Figure this out later.
Hold Down Style: Socket tab ($8)
Misc: 12 Hose Clamps ($7.50)

Please tell me your thoughts. I apologize for my long-winded question but please understand that I'm trying to help you help me.

If you've read this far, thanks very much :)

Odie

Last edited:
welcome to the forums :D

first of all the maze4 cpu block is good but is outdated there are better options available i.e. swiftech 6002, TDX

also i would not rule out that u can modify a heatercore unless ur scared to use a pipe cutter :p check out this

Thanks for the response, and for the welcome (though I'm not all that new ;) )

I read that thread about modding a heatercore. I'm sure though, that I would F it up. Plus, I'm more of a screw-it-in-and-turn-it-on kind of guy, which is why I like pumps, I think.

Regarding CPU blocks, yes, now that I read a bit more, I do like the DD RBX/TDX a bit more.

What about DTek components? Particularly their pumps, i.e. CSP 750. In general, what pumps do people have?

Odie :)

Well if you plan to use either a radiator or core in your case, you'll need to cut out your case a bit. All you really need is a nibbler, a drill, and a file. With time and patience it's not hard to do.

If you plan on buying all your parts from DD, then get the TDX. If you aren't, get the Swiftech 6002.

You don't need a reservoir. The new ones from DD/Swiftech/Dtek are supposed to be pretty nice but you can easily do with a T-line.

As for water additives, there's many. Basic fluids are distilled water in combination with Water Wetter, antifreeze, or Zerex.

By the way, what are your noise preferences?

*Edit* Dtek stuff is well regarded. Their new pumps are supposed to be nice as well. If you are a turn ker kind of person you might look into 12V pumps, or get a prebuilt relay system for an AC pump.

Yeah, I'm prepared to cut the case a little if necessary. Although. I am able to not use either of my 3.5" bays, so I could just remove them, and would have minimal cutting to do.

Noise preferences? Quieter than louder. I would say that I'm used to a humming sound when I have my case door on, and a whirring sound when I have it off, similar to having a TT SmartFan2 just slightly below the highest speed. Make sense? :)

EDIT: I am currently looking at this, this, and this.

Thanks,

Last edited:
u should be able to fit that rad sideways on the bottom front and be able to save one 3.5 hd cage

as for the pump, a lot of people say its pretty loud but i think u can turn down the flow/noise if connected to a reobus.

Hmm, I do have a rheobus if necessary.

Thanks for the replies guys. Will be back to check on this tomorrow...

i have the mcp650 and the mcw6002. great block and pump as well. the pump does have a bit of noise to it, well its more of a lil whine. but i swear with 2 HD's in the case as well it all sounds the same.

Put it this way. When i was running my system on Air, i couldnt sleep with it on. Now when i wake up in the morning, i wonder if its even on some mornings. ;)

Thanks, Legendosiris... I'm pretty sure that is the block and pump I will get, in addition to the Black Ice Xtreme Rad...

What else is there? tubing, clamps, where can I get all of the accessories?

A heatercore from Dtek or Dangerden will be cheaper/perform better than a blackice. IF you get one from them, there is no modding involved at all.. Just attach a fan and shroud, plug in your tubes, and clamp em down. I have that pump too... It is not nearly loud enough to be bothersome, if you mount it on some sort of padding. I just cut up an old mouse pad and stuck it to the bottom of my case. I con only hear it if I put my ear up to it.

yeah, if you want a single heatercore, you could get one from dangerden or dtek, or just look at some classifides, both here and on other forums such as hardforum, amdmb, procooling, etc, and try to find an '86 chevette heatercore (same as single HC's from DD or dtek i think). Or if you want a double heater core, either get one from dtek, dangerden, forums, or from 2fresh at hardforum, he sells the bonneville cores premodded and painted with 2 fans for $40

Okay, heatercore sounds good. I don't intend to use a reservoir, so what do I need to rig a T-line? Obviously a T-fitting, but what on the other end? Some sort of one-way valve? Some links would be nice :)

EDIT: Is it easy to fit a heatercore (single, DD style) inside my case with the pump? This is kind of important to me. I will be able to remove both of my 3.5" drive cages if necessary.

Odie

Last edited:
or you can get a DangerDen fillcap, and attach that to the top of your case, makes it kinda easy and if your already ordering stuff from DD, you cna just throw one in, its only like $10 anyway. Get em here:

http://dangerden.com/mall/Misc_Hardware/fillport.htm

This is your case, correct?

http://www.tinyurl.com/5qeu7

If so, you should be able to fit the single Heater Core in your case easily, as long as you remove that bottom HDD bay. Or you could put it at the top of the case, as you have plenty of room there. Either way though, your going to want to cut the case behind the Heater Core, so you get some airflow there.

in fact, if your going to put it at the top of your case, look into getting a double Heater Core. Much better preformance than a single. it probably would not be able to fit in the front, unless you take out the HDD and 3.5" bays, but dont hold me to that. Best way to check is to find out how much space you have, and compare it to the deminsions of the dual HC (I think the 2-302, the bonneville core, is 12x6.5x2)

Hmm, thanks for the advice. Yes, that is my case.

In all honesty, I think I feel more comfy with the idea of getting a radiator actually intended for PC Watercooling use, instead of a heater core. I know I will be sacrificing a bit of performance, but since this is my first WC attempt and all, I figure I'd start a little bit easier.

Where can I read about to how properly install / connect the water cooling components? I'm sort of unsure where is the ideal place to mount the rad and what not, and in general how "flow" and the WC setup are supposed to function. All the tutorials I read only explain the function of the individual parts.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Odie812 said:
Where can I read about to how properly install / connect the water cooling components? I'm sort of unsure where is the ideal place to mount the rad and what not, and in general how "flow" and the WC setup are supposed to function. All the tutorials I read only explain the function of the individual parts.

Thanks,

A little daunting the first time around.. and trust me, once you do it the first time, you'll be in there tinkering over and over until you find a better way. :) It's an addictive habit.

To answer your question, I spent most of my time looking at how other people plumbed their rigs. Check out all the the links that say "My new setup!" and what not for ideas. Something personal and unique will come to you. Generally you want the T-Line near the top of the loop (or the top when you tip the case, etc.) Everything else can go in whatever order you want really. Whatever is easy on bends and short on tubing is ideal. Good luck and more importantly have fun with it. :)

Hmm... that's what I have been doing. I'm glad a lot of people have these Antec/Chieftec Soho file server cases. It helps a lot :)

Note: I just saw this. Is it the same thing as this, made by DTek? How would this compare to the Black Ice Xtreme Radiator? I know they say it's better, but really? Like I said above, I'm looking to stick with PC Watercooling products as opposed to a old car-model heatercore at this point. Want to minimize my confusion and stress :)

Thanks,

Odie

Back