• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCP600/Aquaxtreme quiet? Bah!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I'm bleeding my lines tonight (I'll have pics :p) and this thing is by no means a quiet pump in comparison to my Eheim 1048. It's as loud as a pair of Panaflo L1A 80s on full! Consider me a noise maniac but I was expecting quieter..... Glad I didn't get a Laing.

On the plus side, this thing is a pressure beast!! It's really cranking that water through my MCW6002A and BIX.

Question, is this thing supposed to cavitate at all? I run it at 10V, and there's hardly any bubble noise in the housing. I take it to 12-13V, and there's tons of air noise.

That pump is supposed to have a burn in time of about 48 hours or so I think. So keep it running that long and it should quiet down s'more by then. Plus, if you're bleeding it, the air going through the pump might be causing extra noise as well. The eheim 1048 is supposed to be one of the quietest pumps you can get and I'm sure most people would've told you that the mcp600/aquaextreme is gonna be louder. However, the mcp600 performs a heck of a lot better than the 1048.

Now, about the cavitation, you're not choking the inlet of the pump are you? What is the order of you cooling loop? I'm thinking that the extra power causes the pump to suck in more water than is available but I'd wait to see if it goes away once you're fully bled of air bubbles.

Pump -> Rad -> Tline -> block -> pump.

No 90s, all smooth curves.

I knew it was going to be louder, I'm just surprised.

What kind of block are you using? Depending on how resrictive it is, the block might be hindering the flow to the pump inlet and causing the cavitation. If I were you I'd let the pump run for awhile to fully bleed and see if the noise goes away. If it doesn't you might have to rotate your loop around a bit. Can anyone back me up on this?

MCW6002A is my new block (replacing my old school MCW462B :D ). No, reordering the components won't make a difference. I just filled the system tonight. I'll let it run until morning. It's still early in the bleed process.

Well it seems to have decreased in tone a bit, as if it loosened up a bit over night. Much more air has come out too.

Maybe I'll install it tonight.

oh, so I see you chose the mcp600 afterall. As the others have said, i'd let it run for a few days before throwing it out the window ;)

none really, the mcp600 is the quietest there is. Maybe the CSP750, but i cant vouch for that. All I know is that the mcp600 and D4, the two mainstream DC pumps, are certainly not for silent pc freaks, but they are damn good. As long as you dont get an unmuffled D4 though, you should be able to tolerate the noise.

These Swiftech 12V pumps are industrial pumps. Maybe you should hook it up at 7 Volts like I did with my MCP650. At 12V It was much too powerfull and loud, the lines were foaming and airbubbles were constantly pushed all around the loop. Now at 7Volts it's nice and quiet, all air went upto the reservoir and CPU temps dropped by 2C. The MCP650 is speced to operate between 6 and 14V so check if that's the case with your MCP600 as well and give it a try...

The Aquaxtreme won't run lower than 10V. It just shuts off.

It's getting quieter. The build quality seems excellent. It will be fine once inside the case. Should be good enough to leave on all night without bothering me.

Aren't there Eheim 1046/8 12V pumps now? Cost depending, could just run a couple or few in series and still be very quiet.

Quick question: if there's only micro bubbles floating around now that are near impossible to get out, is it safe to install? This thing is about 99.99% bled now.

This is a threadjack, but as its on pumps and on silence, not totally. I dont believe I've heard much comment on the Mag 3 and noise. Anyone with Mag experience care to give me a relative rating? I mean in terms of quiet and louder pumps. Louder than a L20, not as loud as a MCP650? That was sort of my assumption. Thanks.

Achilles17 said:
none really, the mcp600 is the quietest there is. Maybe the CSP750, but i cant vouch for that. All I know is that the mcp600 and D4, the two mainstream DC pumps, are certainly not for silent pc freaks, but they are damn good. As long as you dont get an unmuffled D4 though, you should be able to tolerate the noise.

How do you identify an unmuffled D4? Are all Dangerdens muffled? Lastly, how do you change voltages on them?

I believe they can be ID'ed via their serial number.

You can change the voltages on them with a standard fan controller.

I heard that 7/04 and after is muffled, 6/04 could be muffled or unmuffled, and 5/04 or before is unmuffled. Thankfully, mine was 8/04 :)

MY MCP6000 is pretty quiet right now. It's on the floor. If I put my ear right next to it, I can hear a low noise as though there was air in the system, which there is not. When it's inside my case I won't be able to hear it at all.

Back