• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing chipsets, need fresh install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daba

I'm switching from P4P800 Deluxe i865 chipset to P4C800 Deluxe i875 chipset. I've read some places that you can do a clean swap without a fresh install of Windows XP. This is all fine and dandy but I am concerned about my SATA-RAID 0 volume. Both chipsets use ICH5R, so would I have to reinstall everything or just Windows? Or, even better, would I have to reinstall windows at all?

Thanks in advance.

you "should" be able to just swap, but you'll prolly need both driver updating, and reactivating Windows...

How ever, i'd really sugest doing a clean install, just configure the raid the same way, and it will be fine. (make sure drives move from/to the right ports and so on, just to be safe)

'Best of luck.
B!

You "should" need to enter the "raid" -bios and configure it, but after that you should be problem free, its still a ICH5, data should be there, thats what i meant with "configure". I would really sugest you make sure to have the drives lining up the same way on the new mobo tho, aka Sata port 1 drive, goes on Sata port 1 again...

Best of luck.
B!

Back