• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram...im confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowblade1

well some people say pqi ram is da bomb (pc3200/2-2-2-5/1gb(512x2) and some say the higher pc# is better like ocz ram (pc4200/3-4-4-8/1gb(512x2) so whats better? id like to have some ram i can run on my xp2500-m system now and carry over to my a64 system ill build in a year so it needs to be pc3200 or up.. any suggestions pleas ekeep price under 280 if ya can ;/

it depends on how high of a guaranteed overclock you want.

If you want a 266FSB guaranteed, then get the PC4200. You won't need to run a memory divider, which is the best way to overclock.

If you don't want to go so high and want tighter timings, the PQI is the one to get.

Neither of those would be a bad choice, but it depends on how high you intend to push the FSB.

untill the samsung tccd based ram arrived there were basically 3 flavors of ram. the low latency modules that ran at 2.2.2.5/6 up to around 235/240 mhz. secondly there was the intermediate modules that ran 240/250 at moderate timings, and lastly the hi speed hi latency modules that ran 260 to 300 mhz at very hi latencies. recently there has been somewhat of a breakthru with the samsung tccd modules. they run very low latencies(2.2.2.5) up to 215/225, and at the same time alot of them can really crank at very hi frequencies,260+ at looser latencies. these chips are very popular and are used in the ocz/ corsair/ mushkin/pqi/gskill/pdp modules.

Ok, let's say I want to run around 250 to 260 which memory option is better? Is it the tccd modules the right choice, and if so which OCZ or Corsair have the tccd?

flapperhead said:
untill the samsung tccd based ram arrived there were basically 3 flavors of ram. the low latency modules that ran at 2.2.2.5/6 up to around 235/240 mhz. secondly there was the intermediate modules that ran 240/250 at moderate timings, and lastly the hi speed hi latency modules that ran 260 to 300 mhz at very hi latencies. recently there has been somewhat of a breakthru with the samsung tccd modules. they run very low latencies(2.2.2.5) up to 215/225, and at the same time alot of them can really crank at very hi frequencies,260+ at looser latencies. these chips are very popular and are used in the ocz/ corsair/ mushkin/pqi/gskill/pdp modules.

Back