• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Static pressure theory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenocide

so after talking with my aerospace teacher i came up with this idea to create a massive shroud shaped almost like a rudamentary wind tunnel based on bernoulli's principle. the air starts at a fan way bigger than the size of the core, and then rounds a 180 degree bend which restricts the air into a much smaller area say the size of the heatercore. esentially decreasing the pressure, but increasing the velocity. The air does not get a chance to get "unrestricted" because it hits the heatercore. Im not really sure how correct this could be or if it could be used. but i think someone might be able to make a resin tunnel like this.

here is a 30second paint drawing. I know i have no paint skills

wind.jpg

i was also thinking about adding tiny veins, like bigger wind tunnes but im not sure it that would do anything for the pressure / velocity of the air.

baffle.jpg

lol.. well ..

i was looking at this is class.. and my teacher does not see why it would not work... aslong as the tube was air tight and the fan was strong so it would conter any back pressaser ..but i dont belive there would be any back pressaser

wizard james said:
lol.. well ..

i was looking at this is class.. and my teacher does not see why it would not work... aslong as the tube was air tight and the fan was strong so it would conter any back pressaser ..but i dont belive there would be any back pressaser

I suggest you read up on some pressure drop curves for heatercores

modern axial fans have a tough job keeping up with the backpressure

That's what I was saying. That fan is going to be VERY loud if you wish to have the air increase that much in velocity.

Size is also an issue too.

The problem is you have a design that makes static pressure more critical and the amount of air moved(cfm) less critical. The current setup already uses fans with too little static pressure for the HCs they are used with.

Kinda a step in the wrong direction...

If you use a blower style fan (massive one) you would get high cfm with high pressure. This would be quite loud, but you could adjust the speed of the fan to get the required output.

I guess it would work as long as you have a high pressure fan. Doing the tunnel will eliminat any dead spots from the fan. This will help get better cooling because the total surface area that is touched by the air at any point in time is greater.

Essentially what happens is the velocity of the air would be less on the edges but much greater in the center. This will allow for greater amount of heat transfer for the amount of air passing through. You could also use more than one fan on the shroud.

Anyways I think it could work better.

Interesting. What about a full Venturi tube setup with the HC at the bottleneck? I can't imagine how one would reasonably fit something like that into a case though.

it definatly wouldn't fit into a case, would have to be an external box. or maybe the tube going out and up the back or front of the case

Back