• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cam memory 'remember' voltages?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PDL

This is odd, let's see what you all think.

The system is the Celeron D 2.4GHz, Asus P4P800SE, stock heatsink and the memory is some Geil value series DDR400, one stick, 256 meg.
Up until today the system has been running fine at an amazing 3.7 GHz. I've kept it at about that speed but I've also been doing some tweeking. 2 days ago I tried for 3.9 GHz and got it to run but the memory was running at 144MHz and I had upped the voltage to 2.75v, setting in the bios.
After determining the advantages of the speed was not great enough to warrant the lower memory speed and higher voltage, I reset the bios to AUTO on the VDimm voltage and speed. I also set the cpu back to 3.7GHz. Then I began to get some BSOD screens at startup and after about 5-10 minutes after the OS loaded. This seemed odd since the temps were still fine and voltages seemed OK. So, I set the memory back to 133MHz, and I still got the BSOBs. Then I set all of the bios back to default and still got them.
So, I ran memtest and there were tons of errors on test #4...that's not good.
So, I set the Vdimm back up to 2.65 and memtest has been running for about 10 passes with no errors.
So, could the memory have 'remembered' the higher voltage and could something have happened to the module to cause it to now only work at the higher voltage setting?
I'm going to OC it to the previous settings and do some more checking.
I'll probably just leave it at 2.65v but that shouldn't have happened, should it?
:confused:

Thats wierd. If its set to AUTO it should default it. Unless the board realized its running faster than it should and upped the voltages itself. But then again that doesnt make sence from AUTO at 3.7 before stable to AUTO at 3.7 after you set it back. It should have been the same...

Back