• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC the mb backside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Veland

So, still many months untill my house will be completed, with WC built in. But I'm pondering different things to do.. My system will have access to a lot of cold water, so I'm working on how to maximize efficiency and cooling while (hopefully) keeping it totalt fanless.

So, what about mounting the mb right on a copper slab? (with silicone thermal interface fabric on it to prevent shorts) And solder a copper pipe to the slab with water flowing through it.. If the mb has a fairly uniform height on stuff on the backside, every solder point should contact the silicone thermal interface material and you get a cooling path there..

Will probably not be enough to cool mosfets/nb, but should keep the entire board cooler? Prevent hotspots you usualy get from fanless systems?

Worth any more thought?

I would think that it would keep the board cooler overall. But good enough to affect stability or overclock? Probably not. The PCBs are normally 4-6 layers thick, and not exactly the best heat conductor except for the copper inside it. It would be a neat project though.

With my watercooling, I can get temps up to 10C higher than normal from just getting the thermal goop too thick...I can imagine that in the thickness you propose, that it would do next to nothing.
And as the thermal goop migrates from pressure, in time you still run a danger of shorting out the mobo's solder points on the copper too.

What you'd need is a non conductive resin, with great thermal properties, and doesn't get washed away by a constant stream of water...it's like hunting unicorns. :(

Thats silicon rubber fabric..
l11100.jpg

Can get sheets at 30*30cm, 0,3mm thick.

I am pretty sure that the heat taken off would not be even close to worth the effort. A good idea would be to have a passive radiator inside the case with some really quite fans to circulate the air. I know you said you didnt want any fans, but 30 db is barely noticable.

Though your idea is on a much larger scale,this might be helpful.

Results are on page 6

It sounds like you would end up with one big heatspreader, and not enough water(blocks) to cool it.

Don't tell anyone I said this, but there are some parts or your computer that don't need additional cooling.

wow, that's a really cool idea/article, even thought it didnt do all that much, thats still some good work, im gonna direct some airlow over my mosfets now...

i`m thinking of puting a fan [a thin one ] behind the mb to blow air at the back of the proscer i will send pic`s when i get it done 60mm in side ,80mm hole w/ air filter

Back