• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fried rig!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tnick24

After a water cooling line somehow came loose, some water spilled into my video card and possiably onto my mother board at the AGP slot. when i turn it on the start up screens go through no problem, then the windows xp loading screen goes up. On this screen there are 2, 1 pixel wide lines that are red that are about 2-3 inches long. the winows bar moves back and fourth, and when windows goes to load (show the desktop) the screen clicks a couple times and stays blank. at first you can see but not move the mouse then when the screen clicks it dissappears. The start up noise is there on my speakers, and since i have aim auto load i hear my self sign on and people signing on and off, just no screen what so ever.

When the line burst i unpluged computer pulled everything out of the case, dried them off the best i could, and then let all the parts dry off for ~48 hours before installing everything again.

Do you think this is my vid card, mother board or something else? here are the specs on my system if it helps:

I have a 9800 pro vid card
NF7-S V 2.0
120 seagate
120 maxtor
XP 2400+ @2400MHZ ( I just reset my bios to see if that would make it run and no dice)
and 256 DDR 400

Oh and I just booted off my CD-rom into a harddrive manager, I can see things but there are a ton of lines all over the screen. Any ideas?! im at wits end with this computer and just want to be able to use it. oh and im cross posting this in the video card & Mother board section to see if anyone might know something. I was told to ask here by another member.

Sounds like the Video card to me, if it were the mb, then you might not get into windows at all. Do you have an old PCI card laying around that you could try?

OMG I guess this is everybody's nigthmare! How could a hose burst or get loosened just like that exactly?! Anyways good luck trying to resolve it...

Just like other people have said make sure there isnt anything in the AGP slot. Also if you have another AGP video card try putting that it and if it works its definatly your 9800.

what sucks is, im a poor student with no extra video card or money to buy one, i just moved into my apt and dont have any new friends yet that are into computers that could lend me one. I guess i might have to go onto the campus and look around for some sort of computer club, or something along those lines. I really wish I was at home so some people i know could lend me one.

ill take a look inside the AGP slot, is there a way to clean the inside out? maybe some cardboard and alohol? that seems like it may work, any suggestions?

Compressed air seems like a good idea, Just do it with system off, and PSU unpluged. And this is why im going to WC with Fluid XP+ should be <$50 to fill my WC system up with it. And it will save you lots of pain if you sprout a leak(or so they claim, i can't find long term tests, gonna test it myself!)!

Last edited:
Back