• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mhz vs Latency on AMD system (yet to be built)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White Rain

I was reading about how important latency is on an amd system and that is why ddr2 sucks (ya i know amd isn't supporting it yet but was reading an article why they weren't and saw that)

Question is, should I try to get the lowest latency ram possible that has the highest mhz or go for highest mhz then worry about finding that mhz w/ the lowest latency it can do

ie

lowest latency possible then get the fastest mhz suppoeted

or

fastest mhz possible then get the lowest latency at the mhz

it really depends on your applications.... if you want a gaming system.... go for the high MHz......

Specifically I am going to be using the machine for gaming.

The article I read said that ddr2 wouldn't be as benificial for amd based systems as much as it would for intel because intel requires higher mhz more than latency and amd is the opposite.

I figured that latency would be priority one, and mhz second for amd after reading that article, but does that hold true in a gaming enviroment? The article didn't state what the setup was best suited for, it just was making a generalization between ddr, ddr2 and how intel and amd processors do/would utilize each.

If you can find BH-5, then grab them, as they will give you the lowest possible timmings at relatively high FSB if you give them enough voltage. I think the best comprimise for an AMD right now is TCCD base sticks. They can take tight timings @ DDR400 and can really fly with looser timings.

Latency is more important in AMD XP systems. Especially if you are gaming.

On AMD64 systems it may be a moot point, since the memory controller is on the FSB.

Ideally you want both low latency and high mhz.

Well, I want 2gb in dual channel 512mb sticks, is there any specific ram you could suggest as best?

well whatever ram you get is only gonna run at rated speeds with 2gb of 512's. I will also assume that your going socket 939 because Axp and socket 754 only have 3 memory slots. Their might be a via board with 4 for the athlon xp not sure. But any samsung based tccd ram is good stuff. Check out the PQI turbo series thread in this forum

Back