• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First OC - some queries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TzacK

Registered
Hi All ,
Am newby at OC and have asus p4p800 dlx with 2.4 northwood (x18) with 512mb samsung DDR 2700 333(1 stick).
I only touch the fsb in bios and get to 162 (2915Mhz), when increase the fsb to 163 the comp freeze before launching winXP.
I didnt touch the vcore(1.6) or the ddr freq (333).
I attach the cpu-z images and my question is how do i push it a little bit more(if can)....
thanks

TzacK said:
Hi All ,
Am newby at OC and have asus p4p800 dlx with 2.4 northwood (x18) with 512mb samsung DDR 2700 333(1 stick).
I only touch the fsb in bios and get to 162 (2915Mhz), when increase the fsb to 163 the comp freeze before launching winXP.
I didnt touch the vcore(1.6) or the ddr freq (333).
I attach the cpu-z images and my question is how do i push it a little bit more(if can)....
thanks

Welcome to The Forum!!!

Before you do any serious clocking...You might consider downloading memtest86+ to test your ram and Prime95 small fft's for your cpu.....

Congrats!!! :)
Vflux

Increase the voltages to CPU & RAM. If your RAM is restricting you, then you might need looser timings on memory modules also.....

You might want to set your memory to 5/4 or 1/1 instead of 4/5. You have your PC2700 which is rated for 166mhz at 202mhz. That has to be a pretty good memory to run at that speed. PC3200 runs about that speed.

Thanks guys.
Now my vcore is on 1.6 and my mem voltage is 2.55, how much voltage should i increase?
Also I need to know how to chnage to 5:4 from 4:5.

Last edited:
Ok I did some testing these 2 days and the max fsb i could get is 162 on mem freq 333(166) on vcore voltage is 1.6 and vdimm is 2.55(default).
The problem begins when I push the fsb to 166 and leave the memory on 333 so they will work on 1:1 ratio, I pushed the vcore a little bit to 1.625 and 1.650 and 1.675 and even got up to 1.700 - the bios recieve these parameters but on windows boot the computer freeze.
I wanted to try the 5:4 ratio meaning decrease the vdimm to 266(133) and leave the fsb on 166 - but still the same problem.
The mem frequencies available for me on mobo are 266,333 and Auto.
Also need to know if I can/need to change the memory timings which are by default 2.5:3:3:7.
Please help.

Start with setting the memory at 266. This setting is a little conservative but it will let you know what the cpu can do and leave the memory with some headroom. Also, it might be a bad idea of running your cpu voltage at 1.7V. It has a nasty habit of reducing you cpu life. I suggest from defauly Vcore to 1.65V max. Also lock your agp/pci setting on 66.66/33.33.

OK changed mem freq from 333 to 266 also boosted fsb to 166 with vcore of 1.600 but system crashed, also when increase vcore to 1.625 and 1.650 system crashed.
my system now on 264 with 1.6000 vcore and mem freq on 266 vdimm is auto(2.55)
on cpu-z the ratio is 1:1 164:164 and memory timings are 2.5:4:4:8.
Please advise what to try next

You might consider a bios update. That should have helped ( lowering memory speed) but I am guessing it did not help at all. You can try to set your memory to 3.4.4.8 but I really doubt that will help any because your timing is already pretty relaxed from 266fsb. I hate to hurt your feelings but that might be the ceiling for that particular cpu (strange). A bios update may or may not fix it. Have you locked your AGP/PCI frequency to 66.66/33.33?

My bios is 1018 (I guess its the most update), and the agp/pci is always locked on 66/33, even if am not on overclock status, so this is the best I can get ? 164 fsb?

what motherboard do u got? ..what are all your system specs?

whats the temp too? keep it below 50 load

as i mentioned above my mobo is p4p800 deluxe, p4 2.4b(533) with samsung 512mb 333 (1 stick).
In OC (current 164 fsb 1.6vcore, mem freq 266) The system temp is average about 34 C (no load) and 42 C in load mode.

I will admit that I am stomped as to why you are not getting a better overclock :bang head . You should be reaching appx. 3.2 - 3.4ghz. Invite Larva ( Moderator) to your post. He specializes in Intel chips and he has helped me out on several occasions when I was a newbe. Just PM him. That man knows his stuff.

I know that I can get about 3.2 without any particular problems but just unsuccessfull.
:(

There only there is to do is to try more voltage. Up the CPU to 1.65V and give the memory 2.7. If there is a NB/AGP voltage increase it to 1.6V. You should run the memory in 1:1 mode as you are, and at that speed you should be able to run ~2-3-3-6 timings. I think your cunnent timing settings are enough above this as to eliminate them as a source of concern.

Hi Larva, thanks for the prompt reply.
Benn tryingwhat you say - fsb 166 vcore 1.65,1.675,1.7, vdimm to 2.75 and agp to 1.6.
memory freq is 333 and mem timing changed to 2:3:3:6.

When I boot the mobo the screen comes to sleep mode and the mobo is stuck and crush.

What could cause the prob?

I attached the cpu-z ss of my current oc which cause to a crash on doom3.

Last edited:
Something just dawned on me. What kind of power supply do you have? I noticed you have your memory set on "performance".

Try this. Do you have Asusprobe installed. If so, great. We will now check the voltage under stress . Download Prime95 or sisoftware sandra ( free) and run one of them on your max attainable overclock. Check your Vcore before and during one of the above programs. Crappy power supply has a bad tendency of dropping your Vcore alot under stress no matter what the big 550Watt print says. Post the answer when you are done. Even with a good power supply it drops a little but not enough to affect you stability if you have your Vcore set right. This is only a shot in the dark but it is worth a try.

Last edited:
Back