• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on this...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=jonnyrotten=-

Registered
Ok, here's what I did. I have my ram set for 133mhz but will run at 166mhz. I upped the FSB to 150mhz. Cpu is at 3.0 ghz. Memory 2-3-3-6. Passes Prime95 torture test all day and nite no prob. I up the FSB to 166mhz, Cpu goes to 3.3 ghz. Memory still 2-3-3-6, and I cannot reboot. Any suggestions on timings I may need to change to run at 3.3ghz? I know heat is not an issue, because I'm only at 39-40c and 47c with a full load. Also when I startup the PC it says "Single Channel" memory. I realize that the memory itself is single channel, but how do I tell if it is running Dual Channel?

-=jonnyrotten=-

Last edited:
Try 2.5-3-3-8 or even 3-4-4-8. You can tighten from there once you get the stability back.

To check dual or single channel, once you're in windows, run CPU-Z and click on the memory tab. It tells you if you're in dual or single from there.

Oh, ok, stupid question. I only have 1 512mb stick. My board does support, but I didn't realize I need 2 stick. :bang head I rebooted just fine with 2.5-3-3-8 I'm at 3.3 ghz. runnin good so far. I will need to do some tests to make sure though. Any suggestions on fine tuning the timings from here if my stability tests come out good (I believe they will)

-=jonnyrotten=-

Try and get the 3s down to 2s if possible. RAS:CAS probably won't go to 2 but its possible. I'm an AMD guy so I'm not positive on the best way to go for the last setting. XPs do well with 11, A64s do well with 5 or 10. I'll let one of the Intel fellas help with that one.

Right now I have gotten it to 2-3-3-8 and Cpu at 3.3ghz. Runs great and fast. I tried 2-2-3-7, 2-3-2-7, 2-3-3-6, none of those work. 2-3-3-7 boots sometimes, no good. I haven't tried 2.5-2-2-8 or 7. Maybe I should try that.

-=jonnyrotten=-

2-3-3-6 @ 165.34 mhz fsb. Seems to run good. I ran Prime95 for 11 hours 2.5-3-3-7 @ 166.02 mhz fsb. Tested strong. My question is now that I've found good timings, when bench these timings, what exactly would I be looking for to find out which setting is better? I used Sandra and here's the results:

2.5-3-3-7 @ 166.02 mhz
Int Buff'd iSSE2 2113
Float Buff'd iSSE2 2117

2-3-3-6 @ 165.34 mhz
Int Buff'd iSSE2 2082
Float Buff'd iSSE2 2085

Are these numbers good or bad? I'm not sure on exactly what they mean.
My processor benchmarks are about
Give or take a few consistently. I'm not sure on what drystone and whetstone are. I'm probably just bein lazy by askin, If there's any spots anyone knows offhand where I can read up on it let me know.

-=jonnyrotten=-

Last edited:
Back