• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New memory for Asus P4C800-E Deluxe or Abit IC max 3??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maninblack

Registered
New memory for Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Hi all

I will be getting the above mobo or Abit IC max 3
I have a northwood 3.4 cpu to go in the new board.

I dont really mind how well the cpu will clock, but I would like some help choosing a GB of ram ( 2x 512?) so that the ram will not be the deciding factor.

I may or may not need the best ram to achieve this as the mobo may also be limiting.

Any help choosing ram that would not hold me back will be most grateful.

Cheers.

Too bad they don't make RAM with BH-5 chips anymore, that would be ideal. My Mushkin PC3500 level 2 will do over 240 FSB at 2-2-2-5 timings. Maybe look around for used BH-5 RAM?

There are probably several RAM options that would work good for you. Here is one possible suggestion if you want to buy new... OCZ PC3700 Gold (see link). Check out the memory section of the forum for more ideas.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-843&depa=1

I agree with Batboy - the new OCZ PC3700 Gold R3 would be a good choice. Very flexible FSB range, fair timings and not terribly expensive. Samsung TCCD and Crucial Ballistix would also be worth looking into.

KrisMCool said:
I agree with Batboy - the new OCZ PC3700 Gold R3 would be a good choice. Very flexible FSB range, fair timings and not terribly expensive. Samsung TCCD and Crucial Ballistix would also be worth looking into.

Thanks for your info.

I can get OCz memory here in uk and also the crucial balistix.
Im not so sure about the samsung.

would this be ok? OCZ 512MB (2x256MB) PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Series EL-DDR CAS2

The OCZ platinum series is good RAM with fairly low latencies. I just don't know how high it will O/C. What is your goal? I'm assuming you'd like to hit at least 3.8 gig or so which is 224 FSB. Will that RAM do 224 FSB using the 1:1 ratio? If not you'll have to drop back to the 5:4 ratio which means you'll lose potential memory bandwidth. The 3.4C really should use the 1:1 memory ratio since it won't have high FSB speed. If you are not planning to O/C or only want a modest O/C, then that RAM will be fine.

batboy said:
The OCZ platinum series is good RAM with fairly low latencies. I just don't know how high it will O/C. What is your goal? I'm assuming you'd like to hit at least 3.8 gig or so which is 224 FSB. Will that RAM do 224 FSB using the 1:1 ratio? If not you'll have to drop back to the 5:4 ratio which means you'll lose potential memory bandwidth. The 3.4C really should use the 1:1 memory ratio since it won't have high FSB speed. If you are not planning to O/C or only want a modest O/C, then that RAM will be fine.
Thank you Batboy.

Yes I am planning to overclock.
3.8 or greater will be ideal.
Can you suggest memory that will not hold me back too much?

p4c800e-deluxe
p43.0e prescott oc 3.6
corsair xms 2x-512 twin 1024-4000pt ddr 500 it was $350 when i got it
i picked 20% oc in the mb no volt or changes with mem settings hope it helps
240mgz fsb

Last edited:
Can't find the OCZ PC3700 Gold in the UK? If you're on a tight budget, maybe look for A-Data PC3700 (DDR466).

batboy said:
Can't find the OCZ PC3700 Gold in the UK? If you're on a tight budget, maybe look for A-Data PC3700 (DDR466).

yes bat boy, I can get that memory.

is there any memory that wil give tight timings and 250 mhz fsb?

For the 240FSB range the new OCZ 3200 Plat. Rev 2 is hard to beat. Even at 240 your going to close to 4Ghz which will be difficult on air if thats a 3.4E you purchased. The memory has great timings at 2-2-2-5.

JeffP said:
For the 240FSB range the new OCZ 3200 Plat. Rev 2 is hard to beat. Even at 240 your going to close to 4Ghz which will be difficult on air if thats a 3.4E you purchased. The memory has great timings at 2-2-2-5.

I still cant decide on the motherboard!.
I am on watercooling and have a decent enough setup for that.

Because I am watercooled, should I be looking at higher fsb ram?

I can see that Im going to be too dissapointed with either abit or asus mobo.
I think the cpu is a northwood 3.4 as it says 800 Mhz and 512 cache on box.

Maninblack said:
I still cant decide on the motherboard!.
I am on watercooling and have a decent enough setup for that.

Because I am watercooled, should I be looking at higher fsb ram?

I can see that Im going to be too dissapointed with either abit or asus mobo.
I think the cpu is a northwood 3.4 as it says 800 Mhz and 512 cache on box.

I love my Max3 and don't have any regrets with it but since you have a 3.4 you might want to go with Asus and try the new bios with the multiplier option. If you can get that to work it's a great feature. It's really hit or miss if you get the right cpu for it to work. There's another thread running on this right now I believe with more details.

I've seen the Plat Rev 2 above 240, in the 250-260 range but with relaxed timings. I believe on the order of 2.5-3-3-6, still not shabby. Great thing is it will run well at 2.8-2.9v which is about all your going to get on either of the boards your looking at with doing some board modifications.

The Max3 is going to be difficult to find as they've been discontinued for a while now.

JeffP said:
I love my Max3 and don't have any regrets with it but since you have a 3.4 you might want to go with Asus and try the new bios with the multiplier option. If you can get that to work it's a great feature. It's really hit or miss if you get the right cpu for it to work. There's another thread running on this right now I believe with more details.

I've seen the Plat Rev 2 above 240, in the 250-260 range but with relaxed timings. I believe on the order of 2.5-3-3-6, still not shabby. Great thing is it will run well at 2.8-2.9v which is about all your going to get on either of the boards your looking at with doing some board modifications.

The Max3 is going to be difficult to find as they've been discontinued for a while now.

Will the multiplier cpu bios work with northwoods?

I have seen 3 places here in UK that say the max 3 is 'Instock'

I dont mind spending an extra few quid on some better ram.
The ocz nomencleture sure is confusing!
OEB, EL, gold, platinum, rev 3 rev 2!.

Ill place an order somewhere this week I hope.
'OCZ PC3500 Dual Channel 2 x 512 MB CL2 DDR EL Memory'

'OCZ PC3700 Platinum Edition Dual Channel 2 x 512 MB DDR Enhanced Bandwith Memory'

Can you point me to a few or one choices from this address?

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/home.php?cat=331

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_OCZ_144.html

http://store.over-clock.com/OCZ_Memory.html

Seems like the Northwoods tend to top out at about 3.8 to 3.9 gig... even with watercooling. With a Northwood I'd be tempted to get an Abit AI7 because they have vdimm up to 3.2v. That might help you get a little better timings.

batboy said:
Seems like the Northwoods tend to top out at about 3.8 to 3.9 gig... even with watercooling. With a Northwood I'd be tempted to get an Abit AI7 because they have vdimm up to 3.2v. That might help you get a little better timings.

Thanks for the answer.

How does the AI7 compare to Max 3 and Asus?

Can you expand on why this board should be considered alongside these two?

The Max3 don't do that well with vdimm above 2.8v because the VTT don't track right. There is a mod that will fix it, but that requires being handy with a soldering gun. The Asus overvolts the vcore at idle and undervolts at load, so you need to do a droop mod for it (more soldering). Then if you want more vdimm than 2.85v, the Asus needs a volt mod too (although it's pretty easy). The Abit AI7 don't require any mods. I have one and it great with Northwoods. I might recommend a different mobo if you had a Prescott, but the Northwoods run very nice on an AI7.

batboy said:
The Max3 don't do that well with vdimm above 2.8v because the VTT don't track right. There is a mod that will fix it, but that requires being handy with a soldering gun. The Asus overvolts the vcore at idle and undervolts at load, so you need to do a droop mod for it (more soldering). Then if you want more vdimm than 2.85v, the Asus needs a volt mod too (although it's pretty easy). The Abit AI7 don't require any mods. I have one and it great with Northwoods. I might recommend a different mobo if you had a Prescott, but the Northwoods run very nice on an AI7.

Thank you for the information Batboy.
I see in another thread that you say 'if on a budget, get the AI7'.

If money is not the deciding factor would choose another board?
I see many positive comments on this board, but i will probably have this new setup for some time so do not mind spending the extra now.

But if the AI7 is the better clocker and will give great performance anyway then why not get it?

Or are the other boards worth it?
you get what I mean!!!

I have the Asus p4c800 dlx(non E) 3.2E(Prescott), ocz 3200 rev 2, ocz ddr booster, ocz 520 PSU. And I can hit 3.8 o air with a TT spark 7. If they say the Northwood top out at 3.9 for a 3.4. I would get the 3.2E and save the 50 or so bucks you would have spent on the Northwood. And get something else you might need or just want. My board is not droop modded either. I think I could go higher if it was. Right now I am 1.425 vcore, 240 2.5-3-3-6. Max temp 55 0r 56 with video editing. idle @ 39-40. my 2 cents.

Stoner, I think he already has the 3.4 Northwood (if I'm reading the first post right).

I think the AI7 is one of the best Northwood overclocking mobos, but I would get the IC7 series or the Asus P4C800 series if you think you'll ever upgrade to a Prescott (the i875 chipsets have a little better power circuitry). But, with the 3.4C I would think your next upgrade will be the LGA775 platform.

Back