• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Double check my math please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

It's for a shroud. I'm trying to find the degree I need to sweep in from the outside of the rad to the outside of the fan. Everything is in MM 'cause metric rocks for measurements and imperial is total ****.

This is wrong, see below:

105mm depth

core side - 162mm
fan side - 120mm
difference - 38mm
difference/side of core-to-fan - 19mm

tan0 (theta) =o/a
tan0 = depth/difference-per-side
tan0=105/19
tan0=5.526 degrees sweep

correct?

Last edited:
If its a dual fan core, Im going to assume you are going for a semi-venturi design: angled sides with straight edge tops, or vice versa?

If its a single fan core, is the finned area 162mm*162mm? And are you trying to get a full venturi shroud for that?

Last edited:
Also, unless you have some good equipment, or one seriously steady hand... I find it easier to calculate for the length of the joint, as opposed to the angle. Its a bit easier to get onto a template (IMO)

Of course having the angle helps to get the joint length....

core side - 162mm
fan side - 120mm
difference - 38mm

What is 'difference', cause if your going for subtraction (core-fan) you forgot to carry 4 mm. :p

Whoops, you are correct G. I'll update in a minute - I'm fixing a comp at work and doing this at an off second.

edit:
untitled.jpg

I've found trig is MUCH easier than guess and check. Plus, .x of a degree isn't that hard to approximate.

One last edit to this post:
sqrt((105^2) + (21^2)) = 107.07941

Last edited:
A venturi is a short, tapered tube or nozzle. The effect that a venturi or nozzle has on fluid flow is that it causes an increase in the velocity and a corresponding decrease in pressure and that is used especially in measuring fluid flow or for creating a suction.

http://itll.colorado.edu/modules/templates/dsp_body.cfm?action=indphenomenon&phenomenon=118

Basicly, it's a taperd shroud designed to create negative pressure in the largest end which in turn aids in pulling air through the rad.

So are you going for the full venturi, or angled sides with flat tops. Single fan, or dual fan?

I tend to work better when I think of it in terms of two rectangles so please fill in the Blanks and correct as necessary:

length of Finned area: 165mm
Width of Finned area: ???
Height of shroud: ???
Length of fan area: ???
Width of fan area: 120mm

This post is assuming you want a full venturi single fan shroud for a core with a finned area of 162mm*162mm.

If you want a shroud depth of 1"(25mm) then you need a piece of cardboard that is ~186mm*186mm. The length of the angled edge is ~32.6mm, and the length of angled joint is ~38.8mm.

If you want a shroud depth of 1.5"(38mm) then you need a piece of cardboard that is ~207mm*207mm. The length of the angled edge is ~43.4mm, and the length of angled joint is ~48.2mm.

If you want a shroud depth of 2"(50mm) then you need a piece of cardboard that is ~229mm*229mm. The length of the angled edge is ~54.2mm, and the length of angled joint is ~58.1mm.

Attachments

• Single fan venturi corner.jpg
    Single fan venturi corner.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 96
I just noticed you want a shroud depth of 105mm

If you want a shroud depth of 105mm then you need a piece of cardboard that is ~335mm*335mm. The length of the angled edge is ~107.1mm, and the length of angled joint is ~109.1mm.

EDIT:so...

pwnt by pat said:
sqrt((105^2) + (21^2)) = 107.07941

...is exactly what I got as well. To me, your math is correct.

On a side note.... Are you also using the powertoys calculator?

Last edited:
Shortly is when I'm awake and not working... 7 days a week + free time = little time to do short things. I use google and windows calc.

length of Finned area: 234.95 millimeters (can't be right - I distincly remember two 120's easily fitting on a 2-342)
Width of Finned area: 161.92500 millimeters
Height of shroud: 105 millimeters
Length of fan area: 240mm
Width of fan area: 120mm

57.jpg

Giblet Plus!'s rig^

The pencil mark is the outline of the size of the core, notices how they just fit?

Edit: I guess since 120'mm is the outer length of the area, I only have to worry about the first problem since the second half is now n/a.

G, I think I'll just stick to my t-angle and protractor. 5 degrees is REALLY easy to find. How much more effective do you think the V designed vs box designed shroud for axial fans really is?

Is the ease of 5 degrees the reason for the 105mm standoff?

I am thinking the venturi is a slight preformance increase, and even then only in the pull format.

I don't have any evidence on hand; though I do remember reading something about it somewhere.... I'll see if I can find it.

My main reason was to prove I could make one, and in my situation, I needed a gap around the outside of the shroud to run my PSU cables. I will be cutting a hole in the case to allow for easier routing next time.

5 degrees was luck. I am searching for the angle, not the length, as you can see in the first post. I subtracted 4 or 5mm from the total length as I will be using metal L-stock for my box and to make sure air goes through all the outer-edged fins, I'm setting the rad back some.

I am doing pull only as push-pull is stupid and louder.

Im doing trigonemetry in school, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My head hurts, ouch.

Back