• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New memory for Asus P4C800-E Deluxe or Abit IC max 3??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maninblack

Registered
New memory for Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Hi all

I will be getting the above mobo or Abit IC max 3
I have a northwood 3.4 cpu to go in the new board.

I dont really mind how well the cpu will clock, but I would like some help choosing a GB of ram ( 2x 512?) so that the ram will not be the deciding factor.

I may or may not need the best ram to achieve this as the mobo may also be limiting.

Any help choosing ram that would not hold me back will be most grateful.

Cheers.

How about some nice OCZ Enhanced bandwidth, pc-3500 to leave a bit of overclocking headroom. Not to mention with that CPU you aren't going to see high FSB on air cooling. OCZ is a leader in the memory market, little on the expensive side, but you get what you pay for. And yes, 2 x 512 so you can run in dual channel.

The P4C800-E vs. Abit Ic7-Max 3 has been gone over many times, i've used both Asus and Abit, and prefer Abit for a few minor reasons, but wouldn't shy from the P4C800-E board if i had a chance to grab it.

Sucka said:
How about some nice OCZ Enhanced bandwidth, pc-3500 to leave a bit of overclocking headroom. Not to mention with that CPU you aren't going to see high FSB on air cooling. OCZ is a leader in the memory market, little on the expensive side, but you get what you pay for. And yes, 2 x 512 so you can run in dual channel.

The P4C800-E vs. Abit Ic7-Max 3 has been gone over many times, i've used both Asus and Abit, and prefer Abit for a few minor reasons, but wouldn't shy from the P4C800-E board if i had a chance to grab it.

Thank you for the time to reply.
I believe I can get the OCZ memory here.

If you have time, please elaborate on the mobos?

I am water cooling.
I will be happy if I can get 3.7-3.8 from the chip with a stable system.

4 Ghz or above would be shockingly good, but it isnt a must.

I have yet to buy my mobo and ram.

Bassically i have just had better luck with my overclocking on the Abit platform. Not saying i didn't like my Asus board, but voltage problems were a real issue on that board, more so than my abit boards. I'm kind of playing fan boy here since i own 2 Abit boards, i don't want to tell you the P4C800-E is a bad board cause i've seen some amazing overclocks with that board, esspecially with all the mods to it. I'm not even sure you can still get an Abit Max-3 board anymore, but that would be my top pick. That OCZ is good stuff, that or some TCCD chips for high FSB + timeings, but OCZ would be my pick at the moment. Get a nice PSU as well, that's one thing you'll learn as you move forward in your overclocking, without a good power supply, you're going to be limited down the road. OCZ powerstream 520, Antec True, or if you have money, PCP&C 510 are among the better ones. Keep us posted on what you get, and how it goes.

Sucka said:
Bassically i have just had better luck with my overclocking on the Abit platform. Not saying i didn't like my Asus board, but voltage problems were a real issue on that board, more so than my abit boards. I'm kind of playing fan boy here since i own 2 Abit boards, i don't want to tell you the P4C800-E is a bad board cause i've seen some amazing overclocks with that board, esspecially with all the mods to it. I'm not even sure you can still get an Abit Max-3 board anymore, but that would be my top pick. That OCZ is good stuff, that or some TCCD chips for high FSB + timeings, but OCZ would be my pick at the moment. Get a nice PSU as well, that's one thing you'll learn as you move forward in your overclocking, without a good power supply, you're going to be limited down the road. OCZ powerstream 520, Antec True, or if you have money, PCP&C 510 are among the better ones. Keep us posted on what you get, and how it goes.

I believe there are a few suppliers with Abit Max 3 here in uk.

I am currently on an Abit Th7-11

How will one know if the ram is TCCD??
I can get this ram and many others(OCZ 512MB (2x256MB) PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Series EL-DDR CAS2)
is that a reasonable choice?
Or would you suggest something else?

Thanks for your help, and yes I will let you know how it is going!

the OCZ EL is very nice. If the timings are 2-2-2-5, it's almost guaranteed to be TCCD. I believe the Rev 2's are all TCCD. If the timings are 2-3-2-5, i believe that is CH-5.

Back