• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waterblock on too tight ? damage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SunTzu69

Hi guys,

I am having issues trying to boot my new rig... the standby or "led1" is lighting up, but the dram led is not... I am trying to figure out if my mobo is DOA.. my question follows at the end....

I mounted my Swiftech 6002-A64 W/B on very tight... the screws just kept turning easily until I noticed that the mounting brackets and the mobo were slightly bending... so I unscrewed just a bit to release pressure on both sides and booted.

Nothing.. just one "led1" on my mobo... no boot, absolutely nothing else, no psu activity at all except for that light. Psu is a Fortron and works in my other rig...

I am wondering what the chances are that I damaged my cpu because the W/B was on too tight.. it seems ok... and the W/b is very well lapped... What are your thoughts... I am leaning towards a DOA mobo... but I am also wondering what the chances are that I am not getting a boot because I cracked the core ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Any chance of the BIOS jumper being in the "clear" mode??
Try moving that back down if it is and boot again, some mobo's come with the jumper in the clear mode.

I actually moved it to clear, removed battery.... put it back on "on"... and I have the same issues... (reset bios, no go).

DAing...

You guys are soooo helpfull.

I think I can rule out cpu issues for the moment... my motherboard won't even boot with no cpu. No psu activity at all... only a red standby light.. no dram led light.

I've tried switching dims around, etc.. new dim, new socket. I will continue along those lines, and if I see no success... it seems to me that it is likely a mobo issue.

Thanks

I know this sounds silly, but does your new mobo require that square 4 pin power connector from the power supply? Older AMD systems don't need it, but many new ones do.
Just a thought, no secondary power plug = no power on self test (post).

Oh, and Fortron psu's can be very picky about shorting..try switching off then unplugging it for 3-5 minutes, then plug it back in and switch it on.
My second one needed that out of the box.

System wont post with a cracked CPU...

plug a 3-pin fan into the cpu fan header, that might be it. My NF7-S used to have an aneurysm when I didnt plug a fan in, it would turn on for a split second then shut down again

Back