• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

w/c setup rev1.1... with pic!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arnoldma

hi, made some changes to the last setup i posted, i took out ths chipset block, and changed ther fans from some 64cfm 26dba to some 125cfm 40dba ones with a fan controller!

the only thing im now not too sure about is the order of the componets, and the pump! i heard that the DD 12v pump is very loud?

also what is a good fan controller? cheers!

pic.php

oh, so the one to the side is intake? and the one on the top is outtake? (i know, not a word)

Looks good, but if at all possible, put the radiator inside the case to minimize tubing and elevation change so your pump has to do less work (so you get better flow rates).

Alacritan said:
The reservoir should be at the intake. You don't want to pump into your reservoir. Definitely not.

why not? i got mine setup so that the water flows from one side of the reservior to the radiator, which then colds the water and send it to the CPU block then to the pump and pump then puts the hot water from the cpu back into the reservior. My idle is 34 and load is 42. My P4 3.0C is running at 4.0 Ghz with 1.6 volts so that is why my temps are little high. at 3.7 my idle is 29 and load is 38.

Also i got my Rad on the outside of the case as well :) i have a black ice extreme 2 and i could not fit it insde my antec soho case.

I will have the same exact setup just about, cept pump will be by the front of the case and will use a single 120mm rad. Is pwnt by pat's setup plan good? I thought it goes pump-rad-cpu-vid-res-pump. Thx!

MrKool said:
why not? i got mine setup so that the water flows from one side of the reservior to the radiator, which then colds the water and send it to the CPU block then to the pump and pump then puts the hot water from the cpu back into the reservior. My idle is 34 and load is 42. My P4 3.0C is running at 4.0 Ghz with 1.6 volts so that is why my temps are little high. at 3.7 my idle is 29 and load is 38.

Also i got my Rad on the outside of the case as well :) i have a black ice extreme 2 and i could not fit it insde my antec soho case.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1088/

order makes no difference in temps, and there is no such thing as "hot" and "cold" water, as the temp caries by 1C or less

he made the commnt on the radiator because centrifugal pumps work better if they have an unrestricted inlet

real world results prove that you can get more than 2C diference by setting up your components diferently

like putting the pump before the radiator and putting the res before the pump

Resevious in NO WAY cool the water (unless you have the reserator). There is simply not enough surface area or time for the water to release the heat before it's sent through the loop again. Also, in a closed system, any air traped in the res can only absorb so much heat until it reaches an equilibrium with water temperature.

Having a unrestricted pump inlet is why you should (almost) never have componants between a res and the pump.

The only time when you might see a difference in temperatures when having the pump before the cpu block is when you are using huge pumps in excess of several hundred watts. Even then it's not that bad. True story: Right now my friend as a 700w 1200gph 22.5ft head SUMP pump submersed in an aquarium. It has a completely unrestrected inlet so its efficiency is greater than if it was modded to be inline. There is no radiator in this setup, it's completely passive and silent. His a64 3000 idles at a solid 40c.

lol, thanks guys for the reply, wasn't expecting so many :)

anyway, i'm a bit confused now, some of you are saying what i have is ok, to have the rad. before the cpu block, but other are saying pump before the block, i.e. the rev 1.2 diagram drawing by "pwnt by pat" (tahnks btw)

the only thing i thought was if i have the pump before the cpu block wont the pump warm up the water a little? but then again i see how the pump should have unrestricted flow, i.e. sucking water from the res.

decisions decisions :p

ps. i got a 3.0e D0 with abit ic7-max3

Back