• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arrrggg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

feyd83

I'd forgotten how much I hate regular barbs. I just leak tested my new system and water immediatly started leaking out of the base of the barbs on my Storm and Pro Core. :mad: Time to put new barbs on the Pro Core and goop them in. Too bad I can't get BST threaded push-on hose barbs. :cry:
Leaks are soooo frustrating.

Hmmm, the blocks are leak tested. However one thing I have noticed with the Delrin is that is it somewhat easier to break the seal by unintentionally twisting the barbs out than with polycarb, especially if you're twisting the tubing about while routing a setup, with about 3% of the people who have the blocks reporting this as an issue.

Reseal the barbs on the Storm block using plumbers tape, and in the meantime I'm looking for a more robust sealing solution for the second batch of blocks.

was it the storm or the procore?

in my storm at least the barbs wouldnt move, i didnt try to hard though, i have a o ring kit full of o rings of a lot of sizes, and was going to remove the goop and install o rings, but decide at the last minute that i wouldnt since the barbs were tight, and it didnt leaked.

I did wiggle the barbs on the storm a little. I'm gonna goop them in, that'll teach them. I has problems with my WW with the barbs leaking so I gooped them and solved my problems. It seems like the base of the barbs on the pro core are leaking, going to have to replace with some extra push-on barbs I have and goop them in too.

Cathar, know any where to buy push-on barbs with bst fittings?

Cathar said:
Hmmm, the blocks are leak tested. However one thing I have noticed with the Delrin is that is it somewhat easier to break the seal by unintentionally twisting the barbs out than with polycarb, especially if you're twisting the tubing about while routing a setup, with about 3% of the people who have the blocks reporting this as an issue.

Reseal the barbs on the Storm block using plumbers tape, and in the meantime I'm looking for a more robust sealing solution for the second batch of blocks.

JB Weld? Or is that perhaps, too permanent?

Well I think I install the barbs in the wrong spot on the Storm, I've got 2 different looking barbs that came with it. I put them in the opposite arrangement that they arrived in and it still leaked with goop sealent (probably should wait atleast a day for the stuff to dry :-/). I'm gonna redo that.

I think my problem with the ProCore is that I've got 1/16" walls (was trying out coolsleeves) and I'm not sure if the barbs have a sealed connection, even with my clamps tightened all the way. I'm just gonna switch back to 1/8" since I got my worm drive clamps for that thick of tubing.

threadjacking here, sorry, but did i misunderstand when i got the notion you could wrap the threads with plumbers tape, and have a seal? ive been wanting to upgrade to brass barbs but they just arent compatible with the pump's aperture and an o-ring isnt helping, will the tape do the job?

A good idea with barbs would be to put a bit of silicone sealant on them before screwing in (not too much as you don't want it to go everywhere) then screw them in and leave for 24 hours. Failing that.. epoxy, as long as you do a nice job you can never be too careful.

Shadowcat said:
A good idea with barbs would be to put a bit of silicone sealant on them before screwing in (not too much as you don't want it to go everywhere) then screw them in and leave for 24 hours. Failing that.. epoxy, as long as you do a nice job you can never be too careful.

Ya, I'm all for lacing the barb threads and the block threads with silicon sealent or adhesive. That's worked better for me than tape.

Back