• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd fx55 ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazywarrior

i'm currently building a sysem with the fx55. so far the only thing i have bought ...is the fx55. i'm waiting for Abit to put out the nforce4 with SLI. i can't seem to find much info though. i have read some reviews on the chipset stating it cant handle anything over ddr400. is this true?
maybe you guys can steer me in the best direction on finding the best ram solution. i plan to buy 4 gigs and kinda want my options open for some tweakage. thanx :cool:

4gb? You are't going to be doing much overclocking with that in windows. As far it going over dd400, yes it will more than do so, but officially, they say it doesn't.

Edit: I don't know of many good 1gb sticks, but you would do well to check what OCZ , Mushkin are offerring.

First of all, what in the hell do you do for a living? :)

Second of all, I cannot verify what you said about it not accepting anything faster than DDR400, but I know that if you are planning on putting 4 gigs in it do not expect to overclock very much, if at all. Not that you should need to anyway with a system like that :)

I can't remember if nForce4 will use DDR2 or not. Better answer that question first.

If it doesn't, and uses regular old DDR, I would suggest this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-969&depa=1

If it does require DDR2, Crucial Ballistix is nice. Otherwise, it's hard to go wrong with OCZ or Corsair.

Good luck, and have fun with that system!

Odie :)

I think he is going to end up praying he can up multi to 14, because I don't think he is going to get more than 20mhz at the most with that amount of memory.

Lazy: You are aware that windows has issues with more than 2gb of memory, correct?

I just have one question. Why buy a cpu right after it's release and wait for a mobo that isn't even released yet? The fx-55 will probably be cheaper later when a sli-capable mobo is actually available.
Ok, two questions:
Why do you feel you need 4GB of mem? 2 or even 1 should be more than enough. Right? :confused:

lol sorry i meant 2 gigs. i know windows is screwy with large amounts of ram. 2 gigs would do fine. i really dont plan on oc until i get a good burn in. i bought the chip first because i will most likely buy a cheap mobo until sli comes out. i'm giving my current pc girlfriends kid for graduation. i plan to spend at most 5 g's. hell its insurance money from hurricane Ivan. it will be a learning experience. and yes i believe only intel is ddr2 compatible at the moment. but then again you can't always believe what u read......

i'm really not up to date with the 64 bit cpu's. i'm currently on dial up due to massive hurricane damage in my area, so its kinda hard to surf without smoking 2 packs of cigs. i know intel is sitting in the back of the class.;) i'm familiar with the basics of oc. i mostly frag so i want the best there is to offer.

Well, if your going to go that route, no reason why 4x512mb wouldn't do fine. 2x OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev.2 are in order :)

Can probably make it to 240ish, depending on the sticks. Drop down multi to 12 or 11 and you would have a monster of a system

Back