• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cloudy water wetter. Is this normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

socket7

So after finally getting my fill port installed in my system, I've been able to entirely purge my system of air. I have a new problem though. I'm running a distilled water + water wetter as coolant (4oz wetter to a gallon of water).

I found the best way to remove a lot of the small residual air bubbles was to let the coolant heat up by stopping the radiator fan (thus making the air bubbles expand and get caught in the fillport tube), but this caused another problem. My coolant has now become cloudy! The hotter I let the coolant become, the cloudier it gets, but if I let it stay cool, it gets somewhat clearer, but not back to it's original opacity.

This condition does not seem to effect the heat transfer of the coolant, but it certantly is a cosmetic issue I'd like to deal with. Has anyone else has similar issues with water wetter, and is there anything I can do?

Here are some pics of my setup btw. They're taken with a webcam, so they kind of suck, but they suck less then taking them with my cell phone.
side2.jpg

side_high.jpg

pump.jpg

What the front reservoir looks like now.
front_cloudy.jpg

How it should look.
Image(28).jpg

I've never had WW do that to me, but I never turned off my rad fans either. :p

Maybe it is temperature senstive. As long as there's no adverse effects I wouldn't worry about it. All you could do is let the bubbles come out on their own and just run your system like you normally would.

Nice looking setup btw. Pretty lights.

I guess it's time to look for a better additive then.

Another reason I let the coolant heat up, is so that it will expand as much as it ever will. By sealing the system the system while the coolant is hot, I can account for thermal expansion of the coolant and keep a seal from blowing should my fan ever fail.

Back