• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Koolance fluid question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Surreal

'Surreal please contact Krag ASAP'
What is the lifetime (until needs to be changed) of the koolance liquid? I know the use and sell their own koolance liquid. What additives do they use? Does the apperance stay the same over 1+years (3+). Does the transperency of the tubing dim over time?

thx

Surreal said:
What is the lifetime (until needs to be changed) of the koolance liquid? I know the use and sell their own koolance liquid. What additives do they use? Does the apperance stay the same over 1+years (3+). Does the transperency of the tubing dim over time?

thx

A post came up the other day listing the contents.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=336625

Koolance FAQ said:
What type of maintenance does the system require? ^

Very little. The reservoir level should be checked every 6-12 months, and refilled if necessary (this is rare). We also recommend replacing the liquid in your system every 2 years. Additional Koolance liquid coolant can be purchased inexpensively from Koolance.com, or your local dealer.

Doesn't seem all that bad for premixed blue UV stuff. I was expecting a lot worse, that they had designed it for their preconfigured systems only (Aluminum and gold plated metals), and skimp on the corrosion-inhibitors or something.

Bit expensive for the volume you get(about 2/3 of a liter, or 1/6 of a gallon unless I was too sleepy to do the math), but I wonder what an equivalent mixture would end up costing anyhow (Similar corrosion, biocide, and color/UV properties). Just for reference, you know? I think we all know getting a big gallon jug or equivalent of distilled water and a few additives would be cheaper, and net a much larger volume to boot.

Last edited:
THX, thats what I was looking for....

Just would like to here from anyone seeing a longterm runing Koolance system.

The thing of it is, if you reuse it, it might be worth it just for convenience. Its not easy to find clear antifreeze to begin with, then you have to buy UV dye and potentially an anti algae ingredient. $10 for antifreeze, $10 for GOOD blue UV dye (or more) and your distilled water is pretty cheap. I don't know off hand what anti algae stuff goes for. But iodine is pretty cheap. So figure $25 after tax. This stuff is what, a bit over $6 a bag, so you could get 4 bags for the cost of ingredients. If you change your fluid a lot or don't like to reuse it, buy the ingredients. But for the lazy watercoolers like me, this stuff is great. Better than wasting $10 on UV dye and then have it NOT turn out at all like the pictures.

mmmm...

yeah I am looking for a solution to run a WC system for 3+ years without needed to change the water. Of course that is not too hard, but a stipulation is looks. THe water/tubing needs to look good, even at the 3 year mark.

help please!!

Back