• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Resevoir... Does Size Matter??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

william.mandra

Hey all, I was wondering if someone here could help me out with this question, does the size of the RES or more specifically the total amount of water in a cooling system have any impact on performace or temps?? For example, with my current w/c rig I have a closed loop system & no res and am getting temps around 40c cooling 2 CPUs and a northbridge, now if I were to add a large RES to the system say 1.5 to 2gal would it have any impact on the CPU temps??

Thanks in advance,
Bill

i would say yes.. temps could go up because not all water goes thro the rad.. but then again ...it could go down becasue the room temp may good the air ... i got no idea truly..

but it would change temps.. up or down i dont know.. posting more to suscripe.. i want to know this

It has no effect at all. All a bigger res means is that it will take longer to heat up the loop. It will still have the same nominal temperiture as if you had a smaller res.

Unless it's a Reserator style reservoir, it'll do nothing to keep your system cooler. Acrylic doesn't dissipate heat well at all, so forget about temps dropping while the water is in the reservoir.

What it will do is solve a problem if your temperature jumps up real fast during cpu intensive tasks. It will take longer to heat up all the water. If you make your own then put a divider between the input and the output. This way the hot water does not just get recirculated. You could also put a double sided heatsink into the water and use a fan on the side not in the water. Not really worth the effort unless you just wanna do it for the best performance possible.

Back