• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanting To OverClock Please Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mrguy123

Ok, I currently have a 2.4GHZ Pentium 4 CPU with 1 GIG of SDRAM.(2700) Im going to be updating eventually to a 3.2 GHZ and 1 GIG of DDR Ram(3200) so I can get Dual Channel and Hyper Threading. Anyway, my question now is can i overclock without burning up my cpu now to 2.6 or 2.8? My highest CPU temp ever was 43C(Asus Probe). Would it be safe, would it be possible?

hmm... well whtz your cooling set up 2.6 shouldent be too hard to hit well why dont you try it and see how stable it is you can always go back .. im sure you wont 'burn' anything as long as your volts are stock

I have a total of 5 Fans including, the one that Cools the CPU, one that cools the Power Supply, then 3 others, near the back of the case, on the case, and another near my hard drives. What do yah think?

yeah it seems like that is possible, but i wouldn't set you vcore anything over 1.55 or 1.575, and make sure those temps don't head over 55 or so. Also because your memory is only rated at the fsb speed for the p4, you will need to use a memory divider, the one that gives you the 5:4 ratio. Anyway good luck and

WELCOME TO TEH FORUMS!!!

first pls put ur rig in ur sig... u might be able to achieve 2.6/2.8 using 5:4 ratio but the bottleneck would be in ur ram... if u plan to oc, u should have at least pc3200... if ur upgrading to 3.2ghz with pc3200 and plan to oc, i rather get pc3500 or pc4000 :) aight? btw, welcome to the forums :D

Mrguy123 said:
Ok, I currently have a 2.4GHZ Pentium 4 CPU with 1 GIG of SDRAM.(2700) Im going to be updating eventually to a 3.2 GHZ and 1 GIG of DDR Ram(3200) so I can get Dual Channel and Hyper Threading. Anyway, my question now is can i overclock without burning up my cpu now to 2.6 or 2.8? My highest CPU temp ever was 43C(Asus Probe). Would it be safe, would it be possible?
if u got a northwood type a u can push that bad boy up to 3.5 if u got a good water cooling system and a good mobo and ram i got my 2.4 a to hit 3.4 maxed my voltage out but lmao only go up to 1.7v needed 1.750 to hit the 3.6 mark is not bad

i have 2 2.4 rigs as dedicated folders ... 1 is running 275 fsb ... the other is 270.
Have value 3200 mixed ram in 1 with 5:4 divider, the other is 1:1 ... they both produce the same points per day folding QMD's.

Also depends on which 2.4 you are running (and mobo too) ... mine are the 800 FSB m0 steppings ... most would be disappointed if they did not hit 3.3 ghz with them.

The 2700 mem will hold you back on things like folding, but other apps may not be so sensitive to bandwidth.

Back