• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MAg 5 500GPH pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea, Mag 5 is way overkill IMO.
The Mag 3 is more than overqualified for the job. I speak from experience.

3 Reasons why you dont want a Mag 5

1. Mag 5 costs more
2. Mag 5 consumes more electricity
3. Mag 5 will produce more heat

I had a mag 5 some time back - I may have just had bad luck with the one that I got but it was a POS. First, it leaked - so I got that fixed with a bead of plumber's goop around the lip of the impeller housing. Then it started rattling like crazy. About 2 months after I bought it, it died with a lovely puff of grey smoke and a loud pop.

I have a mag 5, however I am going to use a full car size rad soon so I welcome the extra power.

I have no heat issues with my current setup however, water is 20F warmer than room temp. however I only have a heater core and 2 fans, 1 for my PS and the other for my vid card. :)

i like my mag 5 and dont find the heat to be a problem. the extra power is probably coming in handy right now mashing the algae thru my rbx. i should probably do something about that.

I'm running a PondMaster 700 which is the same as the Mag7. With the WW and duoble 120mm HC and about 3 feet of tubing I'm getting around 400+gph. Looking at mbm5 right now my temp is 34C on a prescott. It would be about the same as Nikhsub running his three swiftech pumps or the new Iwaki.

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to run cooling on multiple computers with one of the high flow pumps and an oversize HC?

sure, but you would need a monster pump, as its that much more tubging you wouls have to go through. Also, you would need something like a quadrouple radiator, or just a really big heatercore

I am new to WC and am in construction, so my ideas are based on that... well a mixture of that and automotive. My office was built into my garage, between the door of the house and the rest of the garage. I have 3 comps running in here 24-7 and it can get hot and noisy. (this comp alone has 5 fans) I would like to run a pump in the garage and pipe it thru the wall. Ramchargers (an automotice perf. shop) has a dual fan trans cooler on sale for $150. It is about 24"x48" (roughly, i didnt measure) with the fans pushing about 350cfm. I have the mechanics figured out already (a piece of copper tubing between the pump/rad and the office, with a dist. block in the office to feed and draw the individual computers. The pump I am looking at is rated as a 1/2HP 720GPH at 2Ft. There is also another pump in here rated at 1HP that can pump to a max height of 165Ft. (This one seems overkill).

I just wanted to sound of on everyone in here, because I have never done this before, and while my theory may be sound, my idea may not be practical/possible and only experiance could tell me. What do you guys think, and if there is something wrong, that may be tweaked a bit, lemme know, because as I said.. Im a newb to this.

This sounds like a realllly interesting project. I dont see why it would not work.. That setup sounds like it would be more than able to handle the 3x~80 watts that the cpus would put out, plus whatever the pump adds. What I would wonder is if there is any significant difference in doing the three blocks in parallel or series. I don't know enough of the thermo/fluid dynamics stuff to be sure, but with three CPUs a non-standard loop might be in order.

yall need the viaaqua 4900 ive got on my 75gallon aquarium.....i think its moving ruffly 8-900 gphat like 4 foot of head......yeah i like my pump. i mean crap the thing is only ruffly the size of a shoe box

The 1/2 horse is able to push water to 20 feet, and the 1 horse is able to push water to a max of 165 feet. I am trying to weigh the cost of running the pump full time. If memmory serves me, I read somewhere that 1HP electric motor draws 1000W. (Correct me if Im mistaken) I dont think I would like the electric bill of a 1000W draw running 24-7. I will have to look into the aquarium pumps, because this one is a sprinkler booster pump, and it is meant for higer pressures, not flow. Do you happen to know the usage characteristics of your pump Fx?

(dont know if it matters, but two of the comps are P4, and the third is a dual P3.)

hmmm ill have to get the spec sheet. I know the thing is a massive pump but ive got to have the flow(saltwater tanks have to have a minimum of a 10x per hour turnover, preferably aproaching 20)

It may be obvious but...

One warning when using one of those 'Big Kahuna' pumps. Make really really sure all connections in your system are tight, as are the clamps, etc.

Some of those pumps between their large head rating (pressure) and flow rates can put one heckuva lot of stress on your connection points.

The Sprinkler effect is a bad thing in a powered system.

yeah mine has pulled the sprinkler trick in my sump before......saltwater does neat things to electronics(my surg protector literaly caght fire before it shorted out the gfi). It blew out my check valve then ..........btw heres a legitamet warning....... DONT try the aquarium mod with saltwater....... aside from the fact your not gonna be able to get a big enough tank in you case saltcreep gets bad ..........you gotta realy be ready to combatthis if you do it. anyway i personaly wouldnt want this thing in my case running under 3/4" tubing ......unless it was pvc or something cause i have seen it make some amazing pressure(like shoot water four or five feet across the room with a 5/8" barb screwed into it)

i'd just get an a dc mcp600 or 650 to be safe.. i dont think you'll see that big improvments (more than 3 degrees) with the mag500....

sidenote: yay i got 5 stars... woot woot... :attn:

zebkoolindc said:
1 Hp = 746 watts or about $2.32 a day @ $0.13/KwHr

so the 1/2 horse would be ~$30 a month at $.13/KwHr... not too bad... Still think I am gonna take a look at the aquarium pumps, to see if they draw less power. Thanks for the help guys.

Back