• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC First Time Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mils128

Hey Everyone,
Going on a major run on my wc and my case in general.
Parts:
DD RBX for A64
Black Ice Xtreme 120mm
AquaXtreme Pump
1- 120mm EverCool Aluminum Fan.
Maze 4 (Still working on it)
DIY Resivoir

My case is the Aspire Super Alien.
I have cut out the front but here are my questions.

How should i mount the Radiator to my Case?
What order should my loop be?
Does the Air need to be only on the Middle of the coils on my res or on the whole thing?
Last Question is because the whole i cut is not a big as my radiator and i feel that it cunstricts my airflow and so should i make the whole bigger so that the coils of my radiator can be seen all open to fresh air.

Can i do all of this with my DVD Drives in my computer or should i strip it back down to bare aluminum.

Thanks For all your Help Everyone

The radiators will work better if air makes contact over asmuch surface-area as possible.
Radiator shrouds are made to encourage stronger and more distributed airflow throughout the whole radiator surface.
Constricting the airflow from either side will affect radiator performance, degredation in performance will vary depending on the particular situation.

Can i do all of this with my DVD Drives in my computer or should i strip it back down to bare aluminum.

First, if your cutting metal with anything other than snips, you should remove everything you can from the case (Including fans).

How should i mount the Radiator to my Case?

I assume you asking how you affix it to the case since you already have a location in mind. You can use a number of things. bolts and zipties are pretty common choices.

What order should my loop be?

Whatever is the easiest routing, that doesn't include a 'pump -> res' portion.

Does the Air need to be only on the Middle of the coils on my res or on the whole thing?

It is preferable to have all of the finned area recieve air for optimal cooling, but isnt required.

the whole i cut is not a big as my radiator and i feel that it cunstricts my airflow and so should i make the whole bigger so that the coils of my radiator can be seen all open to fresh air.

I would cut it.

Also, the RBX is notoriously difficult to mount properly; perhaps a TDX or a 6002 would be better(both are similarly priced, IIRC)

and as always, post some pics when you get it going.

Last edited:
thanks guys i have to go to HD this weekend and see if they have anymore cutting blades for my B&D RBX or something. Wonder if Dremel ones will fit it.

One last question. I have zip ties but do i make holes for the zip ties to go through or how does that work. i also have another small problem. My case has platic in from of it so even if i cut the metal the plactic still only allows for air to go though the holes. should i cut the plastic remove it or what. I want to not be ablt to see my metal around my radiator and would like the plastic in place if anyone has any tips to mod it. This plastic is my front bezel.

I attached a Pictre. Thanks to Xoicide for my case pic.

I circled that area that will constrict my flow even after i open the metal up more.

Attachments

• ProblemArea.JPG
    ProblemArea.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 70
Back