• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what material for my resevoir?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the adam

ok so i desided that i am going to build my first wc system and i was wondering what material i should make my res out of. Should i make it out of metal or plastic? Cause i was thinking that if i made it out of a copper pipe it might cool the water in my res faster than if it was in a plastic res. Any input would be nice :)

well copper would make it cooler but it most likely wont be worth the time and effort to make it, id say a ~1c drop. i wouldnt even get a res but if you must then make it out of copper with a fan blowing on it. then post results :)

well if i have time i will do both but the one thing that makes me want to stay away from the copper is that i wont be able to see any cool uv reactive water. Thx for the fast respond that was like 5 mins.

I would use acrylic (there are many varieties, look em up)
Check out Thorilan's rig for a picture of an AWESOME acrylic res that's homebuilt.

And yes, use stuff to leak-proof it.

I built mine out of pvc pipe and put 2 1/4 right angle hose barbs in it besides my 1/2 id barbs. I then put a short piece of clear tubing so you can see the water level. I searched and searched for something to make a reservoir out of that was clear and never did find anything I really liked.

Tap plastics sells round tubes of acrylic with 1/8" thick walls. They ship as two 3 foot sections, so you should have more than enough. The best thing is that you can also get various normal and UV reactive colors as well the standard clear type. I just got my drillbit for 1/2" pipe thread, so I'll be building my dual 2" tube res fairly soon, just after I get my gpu waterblock (it's been "in the mail" for a WEEK now!) to provide measurements.

Back