• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nikhsub1 has gone pump crazy again...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Well, just got the VERY hard to come by Iwaki RD-30, direct drive compact pump. It is essentially 4.5" x 4.5" x 4.5" in size, 10M head, and just over 5GPM max flow. The one drawback, it is a 24v unit which means I will need an additional PSU for it. I have been talking with Meanwell USA, the one thing is the pump needs 10A to startup, but just 3.2A once it is running. There are plenty of nice sized (3" x 5" card size) PSU's, specifically THIS one, model 12476 but it only puts out 5.2A. Anyway, if anyone has a lead on any good small 24V PSU's that may fit the need, let me know. Here is a pic of the pump and the P/Q curve.

rd30.JPG

Holy crap. You definately need to see somebody about that obsession with pumps. I have a list of good doctors available.

On a side note, that pump rocks. Good work.

I would say a couple caps would be the way to go, just to deliver that extra 'umph' to get it up and running.

eBay is your friend for variable PSUs :)

greenman100 found me a 24V variable PSU with ~11A on eBay, which ended up costing me $9 plus shipping!

It's pretty big and clunky (it's an old 70s era unit), but I have it set up outside of my case, out of the way on a windowsill. I added an 80mm fan for cooling it, and have it hooked up to a relay for use with my Video card's peltier - works really well. And beats shelling out $150+ for a brand new Meanwell unit :).

That is one beast of a pump - you'll have some fun with it no doubt :).

I thought I had issues when I bought a CustomSeaLife Velicity T1 a while back ;)

felinusz said:
eBay is your friend for variable PSUs :)

greenman100 found me a 24V variable PSU with ~11A on eBay, which ended up costing me $9 plus shipping!

It's pretty big and clunky (it's an old 70s era unit), but I have it set up outside of my case, out of the way on a windowsill. I added an 80mm fan for cooling it, and have it hooked up to a relay for use with my Video card's peltier - works really well. And beats shelling out $150+ for a brand new Meanwell unit :).

That is one beast of a pump - you'll have some fun with it no doubt :).

I thought I had issues when I bought a CustomSeaLife Velicity T1 a while back ;)

I have a feeling he wants it all internal or I would have suggestedt his

eBay is your friend for teh cheap PSUs

I can find one if you want

greenman100 said:
47,000uf of capacitance, which would give you 5 amps for a quarter second at 24v, or 2.5 amps for a half second.
Your energy numbers match, buy you're neglecting that the caps wouldn't deliver all their stored energy at 24V.

I'd go for ~.3 F, that'd give the extra 5 amps for a quarter second with only a two volt droop. :)

nikhsub1 said:
Well, just got the VERY hard to come by Iwaki RD-30, direct drive compact pump. It is essentially 4.5" x 4.5" x 4.5" in size, 10M head, and just over 5GPM max flow. The one drawback, it is a 24v unit which means I will need an additional PSU for it. I have been talking with Meanwell USA, the one thing is the pump needs 10A to startup, but just 3.2A once it is running. There are plenty of nice sized (3" x 5" card size) PSU's, specifically THIS one, model 12476 but it only puts out 5.2A. Anyway, if anyone has a lead on any good small 24V PSU's that may fit the need, let me know. Here is a pic of the pump and the P/Q curve.

rd30.JPG
You got it from Ebay right? I remebered sometime ago there has been one there. Tell us how much it costs you....

Alexwai said:
You got it from Ebay right? I remebered sometime ago there has been one there. Tell us how much it costs you....

That's what I'm wanting to know. I just found out my iwaki won't fit in my case, and I don't want to have 3 D4's in it either.

SwampThing said:
Your energy numbers match, buy you're neglecting that the caps wouldn't deliver all their stored energy at 24V.

I'd go for ~.3 F, that'd give the extra 5 amps for a quarter second with only a two volt droop. :)

true, but I'd expect the voltage to dip more than 2v

again, I think that 10a is overrated

Is this for the shear experimental value or you really having a problem with flow rates with the 3x D4's? Quite playing with pumps and start TEC'ing that baby.

PS: and get a real video card instead of another pump. :p

JeffP said:
Is this for the shear experimental value or you really having a problem with flow rates with the 3x D4's? Quite playing with pumps and start TEC'ing that baby.

PS: and get a real video card instead of another pump. :p
Well, I like things that are out of the norm. Hence running 3 D4's. They are excellent little pumps, no doubt but when I was tipped to the RD-30, I had to make a go at it. Final price for the pump was $112 and $8 shipping so all up $120. As to how much a decent 24v psu is going to cost, well that is another story but if I buy something new, I recon $50 or so. Not into TEC's, dont want anything that causes condensation. As for the video card, that card (9800XT) is a HUGE upgrade from what I had, an MMX440! I'm not an avid gamer so the XT does it's job very well for me. I think I am going to wait on getting a new vid card until I go PCI-x.

Back