• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beginner

Hello guys I remember reading in here about some good overclockable ram from Best Buy? I think it was some Hynix memory? I just went to the Best Buy website to do a search on "hynix" and nothing came up? I did do a search for hynix in here but it pointed towards hynix in ati radeon cards? I'm buying some memory soon and I wanted to pick this up.

The ram that people are talking about from Best Buy and Circuit City is Kingston Value Ram. It's got a specific IC or memory chip on it though, and that's when the Hynix comes in. The Hynix BT D43 is an excellent overclocker. I have 2*256 sticks of pc3200 and they come stock at 200 fsb 3-3-3-8 and I'm at 255 fsb 3-4-4-11 2.7V. They are known to reach around 265 to 270 fsb, but the board will max out long before that usually. Here's the memory chip that you should look for. Buy it on sale though, I picked mine up for 70 bucks, but normally they are very pricey. Buy them from Circuit City if you can, because they tend to be cheaper and they always have some when I go.
Memory_chip.jpg

I wouldn't buy from the refurbished section. It's there for a reason, because people used them, had problems, and then RMA'd it. If you can find some OCZ pc3700 EL rev.3's, those have good chips it them, look for a default timing of 2.5-3-3-8 on that revision, and it will have DTD5 Hynix chips on it.

Edit: here you go. You could go with KVR or OCZ, OCZ is a higher quality though, and the chip will operate at a lower frequency.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-842&depa=1

Here's a review for it.
http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?rev_id=244&cat_id=69&action=reviews

Last edited:
Yeah, I almost linked that, but I had thought that he was going for a 512 kit to save money since he was checking out the refurbs. Although the gig kit is a good price.

Back