• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Droop" Modding the DFI LANPartyPro 875B Rev B.1???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DirtMerchant

I recently been having issues with a heavy drop in my Vcore with the new Pentium 4 3.2E CPU. My older 2.6C ran great, with no issues at all.

Once I installed a 3.2E it really strained my board badly. I had this issue with my PC Power and Cooling TurboCool 510 Deluxe as well as my brand new OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU. So I know it isn't the PSU, it has to be something with the board.

I have never done a "droop" mod on a mobo yet, but I see alot of guys doing them on other boards. I would like to know if anyone here can help me figure out what types of capacitors I would need to add/remove/replace in order to get a much cleaner voltage and reduce the ripple effect as much as I can.

These new Prescotts are brutal, and I want to tame this beast. I've already fried one when I tried taking it to 4.1Ghz with water cooling. I have a feeling that doing a heavy duty "droop" mod will help alot and I am asking the gurus and geeks here at OC Forums to lend a fellow overclocker a hand with this little endeavor so we can all gain some better overclocks out of these beastly CPUs.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and please try to explain everything in detail, because I don't have a Master's Degree in Electronic Engineering, so a bunch of codes and part numbers ain't gonna' make much sense to me.

I really want to get this voltage issue under control then spread the knowledge gained here to others so they can also benefit from it.

DirtMerchant said:
I recently been having issues with a heavy drop in my Vcore with the new Pentium 4 3.2E CPU. My older 2.6C ran great, with no issues at all.

Once I installed a 3.2E it really strained my board badly. I had this issue with my PC Power and Cooling TurboCool 510 Deluxe as well as my brand new OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU. So I know it isn't the PSU, it has to be something with the board.

I have never done a "droop" mod on a mobo yet, but I see alot of guys doing them on other boards. I would like to know if anyone here can help me figure out what types of capacitors I would need to add/remove/replace in order to get a much cleaner voltage and reduce the ripple effect as much as I can.

These new Prescotts are brutal, and I want to tame this beast. I've already fried one when I tried taking it to 4.1Ghz with water cooling. I have a feeling that doing a heavy duty "droop" mod will help alot and I am asking the gurus and geeks here at OC Forums to lend a fellow overclocker a hand with this little endeavor so we can all gain some better overclocks out of these beastly CPUs.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and please try to explain everything in detail, because I don't have a Master's Degree in Electronic Engineering, so a bunch of codes and part numbers ain't gonna' make much sense to me.

I really want to get this voltage issue under control then spread the knowledge gained here to others so they can also benefit from it.

how much of a droop are you getting under a load with that mobo?

i havent seen a droop mod done for that particular mother board but ill search around and if i find anything ill post link back here for you

We are talking .85 volts. And it fluctuates from .25 to 1.00. It has been a real problem trying to find any good hard info on this motherboard. Most mainstream users are pimpin the ASUS and ABIT boards. I have yet to see any really good info on the LANParty 875P series boards. That is why I am looking for some help from the gurus here. There has to be atleast someone here with a strong background in electronics who can take a look at the board specs or some photos and give us a clue as to what caps would really help cut down on all this leakage and voltage drooping.

It really sucks. This is an excellent mobo. An awesome overclocker with ultra high bandwidth potential, but when you throw a Prescott in the board it just kills it. I can't afford to go out and buy a FX-55, so I want to get as much out of my vurrnet rig as possible, but without this type of mod it ain't gonna happen.

Can you post a pic of yr mobo? especially a close-up of the components around the cpu area?

Can you post the values of all the caps in that area? The value is probably something like 1200 or 2200 uF and 6.3V, and there may be some rated at 16V. Please list them here.

Do you have a DMM? I can probably talk you through most of it, but you need some basic measurements to be done first.

Hey! I'm going to hold off for a bit, until I can get this new case all hooked up and ready so I can add all my water cooling gear. Should be done soon. I have to finish modding the case I'm working on now. After that, it's on.

Gotta' get that 3.2E running at 4.0 stable baby!

yo i have the same mobo and cpu when i hit like 3.8ghz it fluxuates alot like between 3.69 and 3.81ghz and it wont budge above 232 fsb maybe ill try doing the mod too if you get it working. read my sig for my specs

I'm selling the 3.2E and getting a 3.0E instead. I think I'll have a better chance at overclocking it. 15X multi rather than the 16X of the 3.2E. I'm still going to want to do this droop mod later too. Just got to hold off a but until I get these other projects finished. Been really busy lately working.

my DFI Infinity 875 doesn't like anything over 260 FSB. It actually knocked it back down to 258. Fluctuating Vcore and FSB. Not good!

Back