• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To Abit or not to Abit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxxoverclocker

Hello I am planning on getting the Abit AI7 next week because I can not stand my MSI PT880 Neo mobo (via chipset can't overclock / crashes / doesn't boot very often lol) and its a pretty good deal over at newegg for $99.39 and was wondering if it will do what I need it to do:
-Not crash
-Overclock like hell
-support 4 sticks of a-data pc-4000 256 mb
-support Pentium 4 2.8c (northwood) [hoping for 3.6 - 3.8?]
-support sata and ide hdd's (and work at the same time {some mobos don't do this, mines one of them})
-run a 9800 pro

I think thats it but any feedback you guys can give on how stable and all this mobo is would be great. thanks

maxxoverclocker said:
-Not crash
The AI7 is a very stable mobo.

maxxoverclocker said:
-Overclock like hell
The AI7 is a great overclocker.

maxxoverclocker said:
-support 4 sticks of a-data pc-4000 256 mb
Yes.

maxxoverclocker said:
-support Pentium 4 2.8c (northwood) [hoping for 3.6 - 3.8?]
Yes, it will support the 2.8C. Unless you have a golden chip, you might not make your goal, but lots of 2.8C CPUs will do 3.4 to 3.6 gig. The mobo can handle it, I'm just not sure about the CPU.

maxxoverclocker said:
-support sata and ide hdd's (and work at the same time {some mobos don't do this, mines one of them})
It should.

maxxoverclocker said:
-run a 9800 pro
Yes, I have a 9800 Pro on mine.

Just to firm up what Batboy said as I am running the AI7 with both the serial and IDE connects. Disks are serial and the DVD & CD drives are running on the primary/secondary IDE channel (I am not running raid though).

You should not have a problem running off any of the on board channels. OC is not affected by this either, at least mine isn't. Can't say the same thing running a RAID, so maybe someone else can chime in.

Ran ATI 9800pro until last month when I moved to a 6800GT so you have those data points as well.

Back